Dishwasher leaking while turned off

Page 1 / 2
trade4us2, Jun 9, 12:04pm
After a satisfactory wash had completed and the door was opened, water slowly entered the machine and overflowed on the floor. The machine will not start now. I suspect that water has now entered the wiring in the top of the door.
I was wondering how the water would enter when the wash had finished. I suppose there is a solenoid valve that is now faulty.
Simpson Quintex 880. It's been going well for 30 years.

Are there any dishwasher brands that do NOT have a computer in them? Most of my appliances do not have computers!

martin11, Jun 9, 3:07pm
Time to get uptodate , put a surge protector on the new appliance and you will not have any trouble .

trade4us2, Jun 9, 8:16pm
A COMFEE Dishwasher for $349 with a 2 year guarantee sounds good.
I wonder where it is made?

pamow69, Jun 9, 8:38pm
Chinese made. See here:- https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=21983

trade4us2, Jun 9, 10:47pm
Before this Simpson dishwasher I had a F&P that kept having problems (needed a new motor) and the door kept falling apart, and the parts were so expensive. Bunnings have the Bellini brand that seems cheap.
I know someone who bought a Haier DW that had lots of problems.

lythande1, Jun 10, 8:47am
Well can't complain after that long. It won't be economical to repair, and no appliances have had electronics for a long long time.
Anything that doesn't have a manual dial has electronics, and nowdays even some of them too.

pauldw, Jun 10, 12:35pm
How would water have got into the top of the door? The water fills from the bottom and the door is not tightly sealed so it would overflow as soon as it reached the bottom of the door.

trade4us2, Jun 10, 4:15pm
The door was left open so the plates etc could dry out. So the door was horizontal.

tegretol, Jun 10, 5:35pm
Biff it and buy a Bosch. No need for a surge protector - #2 must be a seller of such devices.

But a Bosch will be the last one you ever buy.

wind.turbine, Jun 10, 5:58pm
depends what area you live in, if you live where I live and get lots of power cuts and surges then yes, I have protectors on everything that I value, otherwise no insurance cover if they do get zapped

trade4us2, Jun 10, 7:14pm
I bought a Bosch washing machine that stopped working inside the guarantee period and was not worth fixing.

tegretol, Jun 10, 7:36pm
And I bought a Silver Shadow once that was not worth fixing but luckily the dealer bought it off me for far more than I paid for it when I threatened to break it for spares.

Just trying to show how irrelevant your answer was.

trade4us2, Jun 10, 10:30pm
The Bosch had all the symptoms of dry solder joints, but the circuit board was too hard to get out. So, bad design by Bosch.

hammer23, Jun 11, 10:06am
I have a simpson dishwasher and it refuses to die, I also have a overworked simpson washing machine and it is the same, bulletproof. Check out what comes up on trade me, often people are doing up their kitchen and just want stuff gone.

tegretol, Jun 11, 1:29pm
Which insurance companies decline claims for power surges? What sort of device can protect against eg a 11,000v surge/spike of 20uS duration?

trade4us2, Jun 17, 10:00am
I have discovered how water got into the dishwasher after the wash had finished. And even after the tap to the dishwasher was turned off.
The drain pipe from the kitchen was mostly blocked (after 30 years) so water from the sink was running back into the dishwasher.
So maybe I don't need a new dishwasher after all.

kitkat66, Jun 18, 2:38pm
Very simple repair, sounds like the water inlet solenoid has failed and still letting water in. If it flooded then the flood switch has activated.

trade4us2, Jun 18, 8:53pm
It's 30 years old. Would it have a flood switch? It certainly doesn't work at all now.
With the power off, water is still going in. It is quite possible that some dirt is holding the solenoid valve open.
I nearly ordered a new dishwasher this afternoon.

pauldw, Jun 18, 11:28pm
I thought you'd already said the fault was a blocked drain pipe from the sink.

trade4us2, Jun 19, 9:42am
Yes that would explain why water was entering the dishwasher after the tap was turned off.

trade4us2, Jun 19, 10:41am
Many appliances now seem to have flood switches that have to be reset by an "engineer". I think I will chuck the dishwasher and buy a new one.

lilyfield, Jun 24, 9:23am
Biff it, get a husband

kitkat66, Jun 24, 4:29pm
A flood switch is a technical name for a piece of polystyrene attached to a micro switch.

trade4us2, Jun 24, 5:32pm
I see lots of ways to replace the flood switch for other brands. Why can't the switch be reset or emptied or something? I couldn't see anything that looked like a flood switch, and I doubt that I can get parts for a 30 year old machine,
Anyway I have bought a new dishwasher.

kitkat66, Jun 29, 9:23am
The problem with the flood switch usually is dirt /mouse crap or something floating in and jamming it, which stops it resetting. Sometimes something as easy as a hard knock works.

Anyway as you say, its been replaced now, ope it wasnt a Bosch you replaced it with.