Replaced mixer tap- braided hose leaking

tjharris, Jan 4, 7:24am
I replaced a kitchen mixer tap, which went easy enough, but it is leaking out the bottom of one of the braided hoses, right above the nut. I tried thread tape, but when I try and tighten the nut, it starts to twist and kink the braided hose, and it still leaks. Does it just need more thread tape?

cabrio1, Jan 4, 7:26am
Is there a rubber washer in there?

tjharris, Jan 4, 7:27am
Yes, I made sure it was sitting evenly.
The other hose was fine, and isn't leaking.

cabrio1, Jan 4, 7:32am
I don't think the thread tape will be helping. It's not really required.
Had the same thing happen myself actually.
How about remove the thread tape, wind it back down and try and grip the braided hose with some pliers to stop it turning, carefully of course.
Then crank it down a bit tighter. The washer should compress to stop the leak, the tape may be stopping you getting it cranked down enough?

ayjay1, Jan 4, 8:24am
Get another hose. Our plumber was telling us the other day that that he gets the odd new hose that leaks. Made in China wink wink

tjharris, Jan 4, 8:30am
It's joined to the mixer, can they be bought separately?

omamari, Jan 4, 7:51pm
But different mixers can gave different threads

morrisjvan, Jan 5, 5:39am
check if the nipple tube is a nice ''machined'' end or just cut off with a hacksaw,if it is just cut off ,the washer will never seal and you will need to either replace it with a machined one or put on a brass adapter to give you the smooth surface you need.

gpg58, Jan 5, 6:14am
Neighbor had one leak last week, in his bathroom vanity, so we pulled mixer out, but found hoses just turned but did not undo, and were 2 inches up inside body so basically inaccessible. So we pulled mixer apart to see if maybe they needed undoing from inside, no luck there either. So replaced mixer (at placemakers $87).
We were curious to see how the old one was assembled, so owner cut it up. It turned out the connection to supply nuts came off hoses, and then the hoses pushed up thru mixer body with it dismantled.
What an idiot design, it had been leaking from new, in my opinion, by the very corroded/flaking securing ring, and the silly wall connection nuts leaked as well, judging by the very wet wall board and stuffed vanity, and no not Chinese junk, expensive German junk.
But he is very happy now, basin fills in a third of the time of the old one(which had tiny diameter hoses).

oliver6, Jun 18, 10:09pm
Try putting grease on the o ring.