I cannot find water shut off tap

kaylin, Dec 31, 7:55pm
My Toby was beside the third fence post, at the bottom of the bank, 2 metres down from the oad level, and buried under 2 feet of backfill. 1948 house.

My neighbours Toby was underneath her concrete driveway, built a decade before she bought it.

As you can imagine, locating them was a challenge. We both complained, council shifted mine to street level, no charge. The neighbours had to dig up a portion of their driveway.

I think anyone that buys or rents a house needs to locate their Toby within the first few days. If an emergency happens and you don't know where it is, you're in trouble!

zaankanter, Dec 31, 7:59pm
In the case of water supply, install 2x gate valves/taps at the junction and get your neighbour to use his one of these, instead of the council one in the verge. Shouldn't happen that much though? Think I've turned my water off maybe twice in 6 years.

oversize, Dec 31, 11:13am
have a 60's state house in Hamilton and have not been able to locate the shut off for the water.
Have looked from the first tap in line to the road but no sign of anything.
anyone have any ideas?

gabbysnana, Dec 31, 6:03pm
the council can tell you where the toby is from their toby map. You could find it youself from the services maps online.

bugalugs, Dec 31, 7:01pm
Check the footpath around the gate and in any gardens. Maybe also check with neighbours where theirs are.

daryl14, Dec 31, 7:37pm
Turn a tap on in the bath and then go outside for a listen. Could it be under house?

zaankanter, Dec 31, 7:40pm
Yes HCC has a pretty good record of toby locations HOWEVER State Housing (or other Central Government) developments of the 50s/60s and 70s are typically much worse for information than 'normal' residential areas as the infrastructure was installed to their own standards. Lots of backline reticulation, joint services, that sort of thing. Probably because they were never intended to be privatised, and not sorted properly when they were. We have the same with hydro-towns here. If the records aren't there for this property, try a metal detector - likely to be a metallic pipe, at least within the property. HCC has replaced most or all galv pipes within the road corridor over the years.

skin1235, Dec 31, 9:41pm
hate those co-joined jobbies, quietly having a shower and the neighbour shuts down 'his supply' for some reason, shuts down mine too cos we both feed off the same toby, his sewer joins ours as well

oversize, Jan 1, 7:31am
the council web site did have good information thanks.
I have the measurement from the left hand boundary so it a good start :)

bergkamp, Jan 1, 8:29am
they can sometimes get completely covered with greenery

mtbotrev, Apr 1, 3:48pm
or grass.