Garden hose- is expensive better

Page 1 / 2
shaun16, Feb 22, 2:01am
Have two garden hoses. 1 is around a year old at best and the other around a year and a half. Both have lots of cracks in the hose and are now leaking. They also have pinhole leaks in them. They do live outside in the elements most of the year. They were middle of the price hoses when bought. If I replace them with "expensive" hoses are they likely to last longer? or do hoses just not last?

shaun16, Feb 22, 2:02am
Also should I keep them in the shed when not in use? To help

spiritofgonzo, Feb 22, 2:17am
Ive had the same hose for over 10 years and it still works like the day I bought it even though I drag it to the other faucet on the other side of the house once a week. It is a nylex exlipse at around $70. Yes. Although I think you have expensive and good, or not. The middle range are not much better than the entry level ones. They dont kink. You get what you pay for.

flagheaven, Feb 22, 2:37am
we purchased an "expensive " one and only lasted twice as long as the cheapo that lasted 2 years . so unless , as stated above , you put then in shed , buy another cheapo as expensive ones are not $ wise !

s.patete, Feb 22, 2:53am
We brought a 30m auto retractable one last summer, best hose ever. Hangs on the side of the house, pull out when needed and when done it rolls up out of the way. A little bit more expensive but no more mucking round tring to roll it up or dragging back and forth to shed.

hoppy5, Feb 22, 3:14am
Ditto to s.patete above. Great invention!

maclad, Feb 22, 4:40am
Cheap hoses are hard and crack much easier while expensive ones are much softer and won't kink to the same extent. They are also able to be left out in the elements more reliably without being damaged. They can even be run over without damage. Cheap hoses, for some reason, are made of more than one layer and often these layers will separate. When not in use put away or keep rolled up on a reel and they should last much longer.

wasgonna, Feb 22, 5:01am
The best ever. Mitre10, etc, have them but I went for the RD1 version which I think are superior.

40wav, Feb 22, 5:04am
Yep, you quickly forget about the extra few dollars as the hose just sorts itself out, without any hassle or fight.

ira78, Feb 22, 7:00am
I think it boils down to, more expensive is not always better, but better is usually more expensive.

merrigj, Feb 22, 7:22am
Our tap is down a bank so need to leave the water turned on all the time. Because of this I bought the most expensive hose I could buy with brass fittings and it has been great left on for 2 years now and never leaked.

rsr72, Feb 22, 8:01am
Our twenty-five year-old 'expensive' hoses that stay outside year round are still as good as when bought.
No Chinese imports then.

kcc55a, Feb 22, 8:08am
It will probably blow one day - hope you are there when it does.

solarboy, Feb 22, 10:34am
Agreed ! I've been at my current place for over 20 years, brought my hoses with me so they could be 30 to 40 years old and they've been outside all their lives through 30+ temps, hard frosts and a couple of snow dumps. The only one that kinks is a newer "non-kink" one that someone gave me - I figure I know why ;-)

ceebee2, Feb 22, 7:33pm
You get what you pay for! There are quality hoses out there with 10 year warranties on them.

mottly, Feb 22, 10:00pm
We bought an expensive one last year. supposed to last 20 years. it's already cracked with pinholes. actually it's in the same condition as my $12 one from the warehouse that I bought about a week earlier. For the price of the cheapo's, if they last a year, then it's all good. imo

bev00, Feb 23, 11:11am
interesting .

stevo2, Feb 23, 4:34pm
Got sick of cheap hoses kinking and leaking after a very short time so I bought 2 new ones at about $70 each.
That was 10 years ago and they are still like new.

lythande1, Feb 23, 5:22pm
Well we bought our hoses from Bunnings. The standard green hose. ours live in the elements too.
Hose #1 going on 9 years now. what does stuff them is letting them tangle. and yanking on them when they have a tangle crimp.
Elements - no. Cheap - no.

lynken37, Feb 24, 1:49am
We bought one of the blue expandable ones, looked after it, but within 6 months it blew apart in the middle. Not happy about that.

nukhelenc, Feb 24, 6:00am
wow someone likes bumping year old threads
Might aswell date it this time 24/02/2015

survivalkiwi, Feb 24, 6:22am
I bought a fire hose on a fire real. They are quality. I also bought a $115 30m hose from m10 a few weeks ago and it is great. I hate cheap hoses that kink.

aj.2., Feb 24, 6:34am
Do you Mean fire real. as in real fire, or
Do you mean Fire Reel ?.

survivalkiwi, Feb 24, 6:57am
OFFS another retired school teacher on TMMB.

aj.2., Feb 24, 7:03am
HA, ha, no school teacher, It's just that it jumped out as being so wrong.
What ever you do, Don't let it Get you Down.