Locating burried irrigation hose

nzoomed, Nov 22, 2:09am
I have just bought a property and the last landowner happened to burry some alkathene irrigation pipe, but never connected it.

I was digging in the vege garden and located a hose and connected the garden hose to it and water comes out at the other end near the house, but there is a second hose sticking up out of the concrete that i have no idea where it leads!

I tried connecting the hose to it, but cant see any water coming up out of the soil anywhere, but i know it must lead to one of the garden beds somewhere.

Any ideas?

perhaps i need to leave the hose run longer until the soil becomes watterlogged?

Either way, it would be great to install an irrigation system for the summer, will make watering alot easier!

fhpottery, Nov 22, 2:21am
No way of finding it unless you get a ground penetrating radar at huge cost.
You could, if you can be bothered, get some fencing wire and feed it down the pipe and measure how long it goes, then use the length as a radius and dig some pot holes on that radius. Might get lucky!

sooby, Nov 22, 2:45am
Reckon contacting the previous owner would be best bet, if they laid it they'd be able to tell you.

gabbysnana, Nov 22, 5:35am
i found all mine over time, feed water in the end i found until it wet somewhere. Took time.

golfdiver, Nov 22, 6:47pm
Just get my wife around. Give her a spade and she will dig through your missing pipe in five minutes. Sigh

gabbysnana, Nov 22, 7:07pm
a bit of that tooo!

poolgirl6, Nov 22, 9:38pm
Yep a spade will always find the pipe.

nzoomed, Nov 22, 9:50pm
Yes i could contact the owner, i have been in contact with him, he is in his 90's, and may have forgotten, but he will probably just tell me what i already know - that its in those raided vege garden beds somewhere.

I think the hose idea is the best option currently.

nzoomed, Nov 22, 11:57pm
I had the hose connected to the tap and no water is showing anywhere!
I even tried probing around in the gardens.
It must link up somewhere, i wonder what compressed air would do?
I reckon that would be the best bet.

mush13, Nov 24, 1:11pm
If you can get water flowing down the pipe then you may be able to follow it with a listening device, we have one at work so we can trace leaks under ground.

jan741, Nov 24, 7:19pm
If you can slide a length of wire up the pipe you could try contacting a local horizontal drilling contractor or chorus for a cable locate as they can hook their jenny to the wire to send a pulse through it then locate it.

kran32, Nov 25, 12:18am
I'll bring my dog round, he'll find it in no time for you! Came home from work to find our inground irrigation hose completely out of the ground and still in one very long piece laying out on the drive! Didn't even know it ran along the entire length of the fence either. I do now!

maclad, Nov 25, 4:04am
Crikey you are lucky. My dog found my brand new, "expensive" hose and bit it into a hundred pieces. You must have raised yours better than I did.

aj.2., Nov 25, 5:59am
The end may be folded over or other wise blocked , and not letting any water thru ., Don't dig the whole thing up , but section dig , that is look to see were it leads to , dig a hole a few feet away in that direction , you may need a trench rather than a hole , then do it again .
But so much work , just dig in a new pipe line and know where it is then .
Also that old pipe line may have holes in it , and not be any use .

nzoomed, Jul 22, 2:12pm
Its pretty solid alkathene pipe, im pretty sure water is passing through it, the other hose was not far below the soil, but i cant see any water coming to the surface with the second hose. The other garden is fairly overgrown though. Ive dug around a bit and have not found anything yet.

I reckon that hooking up the air compressor may do the trick.

It will be alot easier to hear hissing air.
The hoses have been laid before concrete and paving was placed over them, so i can dig around other than the gardens.