Retractable hose? Any recommendations please?

clementine4, Dec 14, 3:07am
Retractable hose? Any recommendations please? Does anyone have any experience of which brand is best? Thanks.

golfdiver, Dec 14, 5:03am
We have a 30 metre yardman. It's stuffed and we will be replacing with a 20 metre alternative brand. The Yardman was very disappointing

fordcrzy, Dec 14, 6:32am
if you want good quality garden gear then buy from U.S.A manufacturers. they know garden stuff well. not like the crap plastic junk we get here

wasgonna, Dec 14, 7:51am
I purchased mine from a RD1 store and have found it brilliant so far (about 3 yrs). Very strong retract, no kinking. "Country Mile" is the brand.

If no RD1 try Wrightsons. They're suppliers to farmers and they wouldn't tolerate rubbish.

cagivachick1, Dec 14, 8:07am
i saw a add for one on the tv that looked like a big worm and expanded when it was filled up

daryl14, Dec 14, 8:19am
No! No! No!

1jack, Dec 14, 8:24am
hose link, they are australian not sure if they sell in nz but they are by far the best check out the reviews. i have the sytem wouldnt have anyhting else

tntc1500, Dec 14, 11:14am
gone threw 3 hoselock retractable. im now over them, eneded up buying 50m rubber hosen put it on a hand wind up reel. next problem, hoze lock attachments keep blowing off. now using brass fittings, sorted,,, hozelock sux

clementine4, Dec 14, 11:45pm
I don't think they are available in NZ.
I still am keen to know if the retractable hoses are worth the money and which manufacturer is reliable. I wonder how long they work for, or whether the whole design means they are likely to have problems after some time? I wonder if just going to the wind up reel is better off in long run?

uncle19, Dec 15, 1:46am
I got a Holman from Bunnings 4 years ago,still going good & the hose can be replaced.

uncle19, Dec 15, 1:47am
I got a Holman from Bunnings 4 years ago,still going good & the hose can be replaced.it winds up good.

captaingraham, Dec 15, 3:02am
I have 2 Hoselock, no problems but they are the dearest on the market. (I think)

stompy, Dec 15, 5:49am
Why no no no? Not the cheap ones I think its called X hose expands a lot and has all metal fittings. Thinking about getting one.

jills3, Dec 15, 6:48am
I stopped in today and a clearance shop, they have the shrinking hoses in a box, only had a quick look and I thought about getting one for hubby, the price was $28.00, then I said to myself - why are they in the clearance shop.

woody89, Dec 15, 8:15am
Can't help you with brands, have had various brands, none are perfect.
Retractable hoses are great- for a time (which varies, some last 1 or 2 seasons, others longer but none last forever).
Things to look for:
The mounting bracket, often this is plastic & over time splits or crumples due to the weight & sun damage.
Can the unit be removed from the pole mounting easily (slide a pin out) in case you want to take it somewhere, be that around the house or to another property.
Is the hose replaceable? These seem to break down & split.
Can you undo the plastic housing to get to the interior when it jams up with debris that rolls into it? Or bird nests?
Yes if all else fails, starlings love these. Many of ours over the years have been home to generations of starlings, in fact long after the unit fails, the birds love them.
Don't let me put you off OP! I do like retractable hoses, just that now & again, I need to get another one! Mind you no hose around here gets to a great age!

daryl14, Dec 16, 8:27pm
They'll all be cheap quality. A hose reel will take a 30 Metre hose. An expanding hose will still need to go on a reel so why would you bother. I've seen one crap out in three weeks after purchase. At least get something with a 2 or 3 year guarantee.

clementine4, Dec 16, 8:51pm
Thank you. Wonderful information to consider. You should work for Consumer magazine!

dingo011, Dec 18, 12:10am
I went through this process a couple of years ago and based my "buy" on the advise given by the staff in a garden centre ( they didn't stock hose reels ) I figured the staff use them everyday and would know what is good and what is . They had been using Hozelock trouble free for sometime which was good enough for me. Please note correct spelling is Hozelock so not to be confused with something else.

captaingraham, Dec 18, 1:19am
Hozelock. Me bad.

dingo011, Dec 18, 2:23am
I think there is a nasty version on the market called Hoselock?

brightlights60, Dec 18, 9:23am
https://store.nzfarmsource.co.nz/catalog/country-mile-retractable-garden-hose-20m/210251

On special till end of January. I need a new one, the standard kinking house is driving me mental. Might buy myself one of these as a Christmas present! The last one we had, I inadvertantly turned on after a frost and the whole thing split.

corogirl, Dec 21, 8:33am
I got one and it lasted about a year and not used much. Just don't go there.

eta I loved the fittings that came with it though. Problem is they fit nothing else.

wasgonna, Jul 2, 3:13pm
Yep. That's the one I have that's mentioned above #4. Never had any problems, doesn't kink, retracts very fast, just very reliable.