Main water supply leaking

_allyloo_, Feb 27, 8:50am
Will try to give you the short version, I noticed water sitting on topof the f lower beds, after digging down water appeared,got worse and worse, my neighbour also had water, phoned council, had a drain layer out weeks went by, finally it appears that myother neighbour , a rental, its their pipe that is leaking, council will write to the owner and they will have 7 days to fix.Now my questions are, can I put in a claim with my insurance companytoreplace all the plants that died and pay for the drain layer! The other problem is all the water, the ground is so saturated and will take ages to dry out and its going to sink, I already have flys and mosies, Im quite gutted as I spent so much time in my garden this summer

favouriteseller, Feb 27, 8:57am
just phone insurance company and ask
summer time , ground will dry out in no time
all good

_allyloo_, Feb 27, 9:10am
I hope it will dry out as it covers a large area,and I am slightly lower than my neighbour, just so you get an ideawhen I dug a hole it just filled up with water and I would say there is about 30 cm of water, sitting on top of the dirt, the bottom of the fence is under water, until the leak is fixed I can,t do anything,> I was thinking I could make more holes narrow ones and get some sort of pump to get the water out!

favouriteseller, Feb 27, 9:16am
oh sorry yes still leaking

do you know who the owner is!

it might be better to contact them yourself and just explain , it may get fixed quicker that way
maybe some else may have better ideas but I think it may be best to just wait it out , rather than spending money and time , plus disturbing the ground which will need fixing later

lythande1, Feb 27, 6:29pm
What, they died from being watered! In this drought we have going on!

budgel, Feb 27, 8:27pm
0/10 for comprehension. They were flooded, not just watered.

mm12345, Feb 27, 9:51pm
Every house in Chch has a water meter.It's trivial to check this to see ifthe leak is on a particular property - ie before paying for a drainlayer.Normally (but not always) the pipe from the water main to the meter is the council's responsibility.From the meter to the house, it's the owner's responsibility.
Good luck with an insurance claim for plants - I think you'll need it as they aren't covered by normal home and contents insurance.
But, if there's that much water you might want to notify your insurance company - as it might have caused other problems - with your house etc.
You could of course ask the owner of the house with the leaky pipe to pay, and sue them if they won't, through the disputes tribunal.But before doing this, put the shoe on the other foot, and consider how you'd feel about that.It's not as if they'd sprayed a drum of roundup on your garden or carried out some malicious or even truly negligent act.But hey - you're the one who's going to have to live next door to them.
I'm sorry about your plants.S%^$ happens.Now get over it.

favouriteseller, Feb 27, 10:19pm
_allyloo
perahps your neighbours could turn off the mains supply tap, when they are not using water, or at night and turn it back on in the morning
this will reduce the amount of water leaking into oyur property

wheelz, Feb 27, 10:25pm
Won't your excess be more $ than what the pants are worth!

_allyloo_, Feb 27, 10:30pm
mm12345 wrote:
Every house in Chch has a water meter.It's trivial to check this to see ifthe leak is on a particular property - ie before paying for a drainlayer.Normally (but not always) the pipe from the water main to the meter is the council's responsibility.From the meter to the house, it's the owner's responsibility.
Good luck with an insurance claim for plants - I think you'll need it as they aren't covered by normal home and contents insurance.
But, if there's that much water you might want to notify your insurance company - as it might have caused other problems - with your house etc.
You could of course ask the owner of the house with the leaky pipe to pay, and sue them if they won't, through the disputes tribunal.But before doing this, put the shoe on the other foot, and consider how you'd feel about that.It's not as if they'd sprayed a drum of roundup on your garden or carried out some malicious or even truly negligent act.But hey - you're the one who's going to have to live next door to them.
I'm sorry about your plants.S%^$ happens.Now get over it.[/quoteI did phone the council because I did not know where the water was coming from and for all I know it could of been my pipes, they were not helpful ,so that is why I phoned a drainlayer, I get on well with my neighbours and have no intention of taking them to court, they did not make the leak happen,butis their responsibility to repair. If the shoe was on the other foot as you quoted, yes I would see to it imediately it came to my attention, to replace my garden is quite alot of $$$$ and yes I will get over it,thanks for your interesting comments

rsr72, Feb 28, 4:35am
The council should be forcing the neighbour to fix the leak immediately on your behalf even though the pipe itself is not their responsibility.
Your insurance company should be notified as they will claim any damages from the neighbour, particularly if your house foundations, paths, etc. become affected.

smalltrader2, Mar 3, 8:05am
Major water leak is like electrical hazard and should be fixed immediately. 7 Days is far too long to wait as the water could cause structural damage to your foundation. I would suggest ringing the responsible owner/land lord and ger it sorted pronto.

shadowzz, Mar 3, 12:03pm
Just go down the street lifting the lid on each water meter until you find one with the gauge spinning. Come back later to see if it's still spinning. Go in and tell them they better turn it off or they will get a high water bill. If none of the meters are spinning, it's the Council's problem, demand they fix it immediately.

_allyloo_, Apr 5, 5:53pm
Up date there is now 4 properties that are affected, we know where the leak is, the owner has been contacted by me 7 days ago, the engineer at the council has told me he has also contactedthe owner, thats where it ends. Frustrating, yes, I just want to know when its going to be fixed,