House/ domestic Water filters

serf407, Mar 21, 11:56am
Can someone please tell me what are the cost appropriate to purchase household water filters people use and do not cost too much to maintain per year? chlorine removal etc

tweake, Mar 21, 12:39pm
depends on the setup.
are talking whole house or just one tap?
are you after the cost of the filters or the cost of the whole setup?

oakcottage, Mar 21, 1:09pm
I did a whole house system. Cost about $1800. Fresh clean water out of every tap incl the garden hose so great on the garden. Lovely in the shower/bath too. I'd recommend it if it's in budget.

nicc4, Mar 21, 3:15pm
If you are on a council supply, and the water is chlorinated, is it just the taste/smell that needs removing? In that instance just a simple carbon block filter may be all thats required.
If sediment is also present then it needs a two stage filter system. UV treatment only necessary if the water is from an unprotected source, eg roof, open tank, open spring.
We have UV due to roof water, $120yr for a bulb. 10inch jumbo sediment filter 20 mic $20 every 8 weeks, 5 mic carbon block filter $30 x 3 per yr.

If its only for drinking water could go with an under bench system and dedicated tap. We have a Brita cooler which has carbon block filters. one lasts a long time.

tweake, Mar 21, 3:33pm
yeah nah.
keep the bulb in use for 5 years.
replace the filters once a year unless they block up first.
we test ours every year and it passes.

the standard recommendation is to change filters once a year. i think there is differential gauges you can get which will tell you how much pressure drop the filters are creating.
but otherwise changing filters 6 times a year is ridiculous. if they block up that quick you need a better system.

zirconium, Mar 21, 4:05pm
Seriously, if your 20µm jumbo filter is blocking after 8 weeks, something is wrong with the system. (You may need a pre-filter before your tank?) - Also, the prices you are paying is a bit steep.

tegretol, Mar 21, 7:23pm
What did that include?

tegretol, Mar 21, 7:25pm
Whatever you do, stay away from that outfit called Truwater that claims to trade out of NZ but actually trades from Oz. Google them - plenty of warnings about their failure to deliver.

trade4us2, Mar 21, 10:29pm
It could be cheaper to just buy distilled water for drinking.

nicc4, Mar 21, 10:33pm
How do you test the UV is working after one year? The standard lifespan is 9-10,000 hours of constant operation. Just because its still lit, doesnt mean its working. Whats the cost of an annual water test, and what pathogens are tested for?

nicc4, Mar 21, 10:37pm
Please tell us where you get your cheap filters from. RD surcharge make the ones we get online a little less attractive.

lythande1, Mar 22, 8:19am
Sunlight. It dissipates the chlorine, leave your water jug out.

zirconium, Mar 22, 8:31am
I get them from a trader on here )pumps direct?) - will put up a link. :)

zirconium, Mar 22, 8:38am
I just had a thought, if you have the height available, you could look at putting in the new Marley leaf diverters (Marely Curve) in your downpipes. Very easy to install and clean, and they actually work! - They do need to be installed a good meter above the inlet level of your tank though.

nicc4, Mar 22, 4:15pm
Yes I saw a Curve in Bunnings yesterday, $72 each. Times 9 downpipes is quite a bit. We have Coloursteel roof and guttering and the pinch point is where the guttering meets downpipe. A square has been cut out and in reality not big enough to handle long leaves esp gum which we have several trees close to house. A couple of months back put some plastic gutter guard in the worst offenders and so far so good, but autumn fall still to come.

tweake, Mar 22, 6:08pm
no idea on cost.
afaik they test for bacteria (not sure about anything else)and that anything found is dead.
as long as it passes the testing its all good. (we are required to do it every year).

the UV bulbs still works, its just the output reduces over time and you might not have strong enough UV at high water flow rates.

for a home setup i would not be to concerned. you could simply go up a size, then the output will be more than strong enough.

gabbysnana, Mar 22, 6:22pm
We have a three stage osmosis system in the big house and puretec filter in the flat. Just change filters $100 when light stops flashing.

keytag, Apr 2, 9:54pm
the majority of UV light controllers have an inbuilt monitor and if the power drops to below 70% they start beeping.
More modern ones have a 365 timer and will beep after 365 days, but’s a bit of a crock because the lamp may still be good but it beeps anyway.

keytag, Apr 2, 10:05pm
Council water is typically filtered to 0.2 micron, then a bit of chlorine added.

Im rural and regularly pressure wash my roof and gutters.

I have a 100micron prefilter on my down pipe and I capture into a 1,000 litre tank which I let settle overnight then pump up hill to the 10,000 litre tank.
I pump the 1,000 litres up via a 5 micron filter and after 1,000 Litres of pumping the filter is pretty grim.

Tanks, pump, piping was around $5k and sometimes I spend every second of every minute of every day praying for rain.

Town water isn’t available but If they ever put it to the boundary and the council charged me $3,000 to connect to town water and the usual water use fees I’d lick his boots and wash the council guys car for free every week.

keytag, Apr 2, 10:09pm
Nearest city rates:
“‘ All water used is charged for at a volumetric rate of $2.23 per cubic metre (1000 litres) including GST. There is also a base charge of $33 for all standard domestic customers. “

0.22c per litre

tjk1001, Apr 2, 10:16pm
NZfilterwarehouse, filter system was about 700, about the same to get it fitted as we needed a pressure limiting valve and costs about 200 a year to replace filters

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 3, 6:12am
Chlorine is a volatile gas. It doesn't matter where it is, sunlit or not, it will outgas where ever it is over time. However, the chloramine is a different matter.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 5, 11:16pm
I hear you.

Having lived under canvas for some weeks high in the Kaimanawas I learned the lesson about civilisation being hot water straight from the tap!