Moving hot water cylinder-or?

midget8, Apr 20, 6:48am
I am renovating an old,I think,Keith Hay cottage I'm in, the HWC is in the kitchen,and takes up too much room .Only a little place,69 sq metres thereabouts, so whats cheaper?-move the HWC-not far-about 3 m or extend kitchen wall out by probably only 1-2 metres.I realize that a building permit either way is required.What would you experts do?Roofing is not a prob as I think my 13 or 14 yr old coloursteel is peeling it's head off,so will re-roof to fit, no matter what.
Other option is to widen whole house-has roof overhang across the front deck- by about a more than a metre out from the soffit,and where the kitchen is on the back would extend the roofing. House is only about 5.8metres wide.On my own and hard to get or find cost effective advice. Ideas please would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

siobhan41, Apr 20, 7:54am
Gas hot water and no Hwc?.

doorboy, Apr 20, 8:02am
Can change hwc they do some that are insulated and designed to sit outside
Could build a screen around it to hide it from view

ryanm2, Apr 20, 8:11am
Outsde gas califont would be the obvious choice.

bluefrog2, Apr 20, 10:15am
We relocated the HWC down to the garage. It's one floor down and about 4 meters from where it used to sit. The re-piping work alone, excluding cost of the new cylinder was about $5k or so. With all copper hot water piping.
I think that still costs less than extending the wall of the house.If you have no underfloor area, there should be HW cylinders that can sit outside the house, with some roof shelter and screening.

budgel, Apr 20, 11:44am
I've seen a few installed in the ceiling cavity.

midget8, Apr 20, 4:11pm
Thanks all-outside-just through the wall may be the best option.Didn't think of that.
What sort of cost for gas califont-do you need them for each hot tap or does one serve all? There would be bathroom,kitchen and laundry.

ryanm2, Apr 20, 6:39pm
1 califont will do your entire house. Ours was $2800 installed and that included removal of old hot water cylinder. Probably a lot cheaper than having to move an existing cylinder, plus, cheaper to run.

biddy6, Apr 20, 7:47pm
+1 for getting gas fitted, neat-quick solution.

gabbysnana, Apr 20, 8:11pm
Just remember the double lines charge in your power account.

pauldw, Apr 20, 9:07pm
Isn't the extra charge only for piped gas? I've seen houses on 2 x 9kg bottles.

shanreagh, Apr 20, 9:17pm
Some energy companies don't charge this - have a dual fuel discount that sometimes excludes the daily charge on one. Have to look at the whole deal though to make sure it is better.

siobhan41, Apr 21, 12:06am
We have twin 45kg bottles and each bottle lasts about 3 months at $100 a bottle.
Power dropped over 1/3 and install was $2700.
We gained a massive amount of space in our laundry and never run out of water.

jano8, Apr 21, 12:07am
and remember if you or future owner ever decides to go solar for water am pretty sure you still need the HWC to do this.

fendie, Apr 21, 4:19am
Maybe you could have a much smaller cylinder just for the kitchen , and put another medium size one nearer the bathroom, or whatever needs the hot water. a lot of kitchens have these little cylinders.

crb61, Jan 28, 11:43am
I agree with going for the califont hot water system. We have one installed on our 77sq.m place and go through 1x 45kg bottle about every 3 months ($100) plus $100 bottle rental per year. Rockgas deliver and exchange bottles for you - no hassle. Not sure of the set-up costs but would think it's cheaper than doing house extensions.