How2tell what type of pressure hot water cylinder

sumstyle, Nov 26, 8:06am
Is there some way that I can tell from looking at my cylinder set up whether it is low, high or mains pressure? (Assuming I have got those options correct).

It's in a 100 year bungalow, and I've taken the cladding off the walls around it, but I can't see anything written on it that would suggest the pressure type?

Any help appreciated. Plumber coming back next week, but if I could clarify it myself that would be good.

sqidlie, Nov 26, 8:58am
The vent pipe out the roof is the clue
3 meter head

hammer23, Nov 26, 9:59am
there are several things you can look for. low pressure ,look for a pipe up about 2m through the roof. A supply tank in the roof and a saucer sized valve under the tank,It may also have a lable on the cylinder saying what it was high/mains pressure cylinder. A mains pressure cylinder doesn't have these things. Try turning the shower on and see how the hot water comes out,does it hit you hard [mains) or soft [low]. my guess is that you have low pressure unit going on the age of the building.

sqidlie, Nov 26, 10:34am
If you need to get a little more accurate
Then for every foot of water height above the top of the tank ( in the copper tube/pipe ) the pressure increases by 0.43 PSI at the top of the tank
This is usually the tap levels as well ( not the shower)

lythande1, Nov 26, 6:30pm
It's written on it.
Put your hand over the tap and turn it on, can you "hold the water" in? Low pressure. Blows your hand away - mains.

sumstyle, Nov 26, 8:51pm
hammer23, this is what the underneath section of piping looks like, so I'm thinking this is the valve you are referring to?

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/428285173.jpg

There's no label on the cylinder to say what type of pressure, just the gallons amount info.

dastedly, Nov 26, 11:18pm
It is a low pressure with that valve

sumstyle, Jul 20, 4:48pm
Excellent! That you all for your help :-)