Bathroom reno = loss of hot water pressure

jhan, Dec 2, 4:45am
That must be so disappointing bantamus. Perhaps all the problem is a kink in the pipe or some dirt in the line. A flush would be a good step, not that I know how to do that. I would ask a very good plumber to look at it. Sometimes, just changing the rose might help.

bantamus, Dec 2, 5:00am
ty but tried both and the plumber made some adjustments that should have made a difference but didn't; even left him shaking his head. he even found the regulator / tempering valve hadn't been fitted properly and was slowly leaking in our hot water cupboard.

lyng1, Dec 2, 5:05am
We have a similar problem - the new "slide" shower does not work as well as the old shower rose.
You cannot put in a mains pressure cylinder without upgrading other taps in the house which are likely to be "low pressure" fittings.
I have bought a pump to go on the hot water pipe to the shower but my plumber refused to fit it as they have had too many problems with them too.

mokaumoi, Dec 2, 7:18am
Speak to the person who organised the renovation- they can't leave you with an unusable shower! Some one at Enable will act-you just have to figure out who- and keep complaining. Is ACC involved too!

aredwood, Dec 2, 7:37am
Get rid of the tempering valve. They cause a pressure loss. Also very few slide shower and single lever mixer setups work on low pressure.

webworth, Dec 2, 12:07pm
It's not clear from your original question whether it's only the shower that has a pressure problem or the hand basin as well.I had a new corner shower installed by a bumbling plumber a few years ago who stuck the new waterproof lining to the two walls before remembering that he'd covered over a small hole through which he was supposed to turn on the water flow.

nukhelenc, Dec 2, 5:58pm
when i done my shower Bathroom that was the first words outa my mouth, Give me a shit shower and there will be trouble. So he said he would run inch cold water pipe to the shower to suck the hot water faster. Then a year or so later i was putting in new HWC in ceiling. I framed up for header tank as high as it could go, Then i told that plumber the same thing, give me a shitty shower and yall be in for it. So he run inch hotwater pipe to the shower, I also told him to make it so i could remove the tempering valve after he was gone. Be warned if on a wetback etc with no valve and kids would be a no no i think. Those slide shower heads are crap on low pressure as a friend put one on low pressure and then removed it. You need to make sure mixer etc are for low pressure. I think i would keep hounding the plumber that done the job if the shower isn't up to it.Do plumbers have a place for complaints like master plumbers etc.Good luck

lythande1, Dec 2, 6:02pm
So.most likely some fool put a high pressure mixer in the shower.
Get them to change it, the only other option is to change to mains pressure cylinder which would cost you.

jhan, Dec 2, 7:34pm
When we put in new bathrooms on a low pressure system we used very high quality fittings which could be changed to high pressure later. We have had no problems with shower pressure, very pleased in fact. The shower came with two head inserts. I hope you work out the problem soon. Perhaps it's as #9 says.

farwest, Dec 2, 7:40pm
See if it's possible to change the mixer to a Methven Futura. This works on unequal pressure (mains cold, low hot) and uses the venturi principle to increase hot water flow.

funkydunky, Dec 2, 10:57pm
You can crank up the water pressure on the pressure reducing valve (nefa/ajax) at the inlet to the HWC. If you still have a rooftop exhaust, make sure you don't have water spilling out the top.

joberri, Dec 2, 11:05pm
I am getting all new fittings and have been advised to get a Greens slide showerformy low pressure plumber said this was the bestit cost $250 so better work

jhan, Dec 3, 12:19am
I'd go with the Methven Futura, worked in our place.

bantamus, Dec 3, 12:40am
no acc.

we have even been to our local member, health and disability commissioner, back to enable, not a thing done.

bantamus, Dec 3, 12:42am
ok thanks everyone; sounds as suspected;

1) mixer is useless
2) #7 handbasin is not too crash hot but we deal with it, not as bad as shower.
3) Just have to get it all upgraded asap

romi11, Dec 3, 1:03am
IMO, write to Enable and list your complaints. Give them a timeframe for response - 5 days. If you do not get a response, write to the Plumbing Board and complain about the plumber. You should not have to fight this but if they wont play nicely, be nasty

bantamus, Dec 3, 3:11am
thanks but tried all that, its been a year now and it just gets ignored, as did the complaint via the health and disability commissioner , who just told me to contact Enable !

mokaumoi, Dec 3, 3:22am
http://www.enable.co.nz/about-us

Enable is a division of the Central DHB. You need to contact the Chairperson of the DHB and do your block.- Write the details of the history of your experience- clearly and concisely -under numbered points. Then say what the problem is. Then say what steps you have taken to have it addressed, then say what you want done to fix it. Tell him'her your contact details-phone, EMail, and ask for a response within 10 days .Insist that the Chairman take action. Send a copy of your letter to your local MP, the CEO of Enable, and the Health and Disability Commissioner.

bantamus, Nov 30, 1:56pm
mokaumoi, thanks but went to them in the first instance and got the run around then too.