Plumbing,pressure relief valve or tempering valve?

timbo69, Jan 20, 8:35pm
Anybody know how i can tell if my tempering valve or pressure relief valve is faulty on a mains pressure system!I could replace both but im to tight.

Three plumbers quoted me 480-600 to replace both - I feel this is way to much I figure $300ish would be a fair amount to fix problem - Is it just me that reckon plumber are reaming everybody!

I have turned off cylinder for 10 minutes and is still leaking so isnt normal expansion leaking.

carter19, Jan 20, 11:59pm
Do uou know the price of these valves or areyou just imagining that they are low cost!

davea74, Jan 21, 12:08am
LOL - you picked that out of thin air, their quotes were based on fact.

Get more quotes - if they're all the same then that's what the job is worth.

neillo1, Jan 21, 2:26am
Already got three quotes.

raven71, Jan 21, 2:28am
No doubt a plumber could tell you which is faulty.

farwest, Jan 21, 2:30am
Mitre 10 have Nefa mains pressure valve kits for around $350, but these don't include a TPR valve.

davea74, Jan 21, 2:34am
well if they're all similar, then thats what the job's worth.How can you come up with what you think the jobs worth, and apply it to them!

lythande1, Jan 21, 3:09am
Go ring a Plumbing shop and ask them how much the valves cost.
They're not cheap at all.

davea74, Jan 21, 3:23am
doesn't help unless you're intending to do the work yourself.If 3 plumbers have quoted the job all around the same price, then thats what it's worth.

wildwest3, Jan 21, 3:44am
If it's leaking out of the relief valve you can replace the valve for $120. or replace the diaphram in the valve for $26. 5 minute job.

davea74, Jan 21, 3:55am
Funny that 3 plumbers that went and checked it out in person have a different view.

aredwood, Jan 21, 5:10am
Only the OP said in the first post they have a mains pressure cylinder not a low pressure one.

trade4us2, Jan 21, 6:34am
I've replaced the diaphrams in a couple of valves. They were about $20 each.
Another valve was leaking because the spring went rusty. Because a professional plumber mounted the valve so the spring sat in water for 20 years.

timbo69, Feb 27, 8:26am
problem was cold water tempering valve, was replaced by 4th guy i spoke to for $230inc.glad i trusted my instinct about other quotes.

timbo69, Feb 27, 8:27am
wrong.

mdread, Feb 28, 3:09am
Although you replaced one valve for that price not both valves like was quoted. And $230 would be a cheap price for a tempering valve, so it looks like you struck it lucky and he replaced it basically for free.

timbo69, Feb 28, 7:27am
how do you figure that! valve was 120 and labor/travel was 110 - adds up to the price of 230 in my books

mdread, Apr 2, 12:44am
$120 for a tempering valve! love to know where he buys them from and what brand it was etc, its basically half the price of a common apex / nefa tempering valve. you sure it wasnt a relief valve he replaced! the one that drips to relieve the pressure in the cylinder.