Hot water cylinder Tempering valve

outrageousfan, Jan 29, 12:43pm
Hi, is it possible to adjust the tempering valve? Are they all adjustable & if so do you remove the cap to make the adjustments?
Thanks

mrcat1, Jan 29, 12:50pm
Why do you want to adjust the tempering valve?
If you have hot water issues it more than likely won't be the valve.

outrageousfan, Jan 29, 12:56pm
No hot water issues,I need to flush and have temperature at taps of 70 for a short time.

mrcat1, Jan 29, 12:58pm
And in english, what are you trying to do?

trade4us2, Jan 29, 2:34pm
She wants to kill all the legionnaires in the pipes after the tempering valve.
I would rip out the valve entirely.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/72781724/Tests-show-legionnaires-bug-could-be-present-in-many-hot-water-systems

outrageousfan, Jan 29, 5:35pm
Yup as above

mrcat1, Jan 29, 10:59pm
Ok, yes they can be adjusted, but I think they can also be temperamental and cause problems if played with.

aredwood, Jan 30, 10:58pm
Except trying to flush the pipes as above won't kill any legionnaires in the cold supply pipe to the tempering valve. If you think that you have a legionnaires infestation, you will have to remove the tempering valve, And also run the cylinder at 80+ deg for awhile. As the layer of warmish water and muck in the bottom of cylinders is a common location where legionnaires can breed. And it is unlikely that a consumer tempering valve could be adjusted to 70deg outlet temp anyway.

bill1451, Jan 31, 5:11pm
if you have a wetback DO NOT REMOVE THIS VALVE unless you want to be scalded red like a crayfish.If you are runnuning your cylinder at less than 55 deg c then you may have a problem.

outrageousfan, Feb 9, 10:04pm
@ aredwood - Cylinder is at 70, so it would appear tempering value is the issue. Is it necessary, or can we have it removed?

snoopy221, Dec 27, 9:54pm
Yes they are adjustable within a limited range and yes you remove the cap and adjust

Been a damn long time since i done one my recall is screw or allen key adjust and it is possible to adjust them over the standard range with a simple modification howver if ya know what ya doin ya will suss it

Remeber those that CAN -Do
Those that can NOT read the instructions.