Hot water cylinder overflowing

rpvr, Dec 12, 3:13am
x1
My elderly mother is in hospital at present, and while checking her house I noticed the pipe through the roof from the hot water cylinder overflowing quite a bit (slime on the roof where it's been trickling). On checking in the hot water cupboard I found some damp items where a slight tickle has been coming down the pipe inside. How does this happen, a leak through the roof or what!
The hot water cylinder was replaced about 3 years ago, but all the associated plumbing seems original. It has an ajax valve which I have tried adjusting, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Probably need replacing! And what is the difference between an ajax valve and a nefa valve, are they interchangeable! Would this be fairly straightforward as a DIY job! I have done other basic plumbing repairs (replaced taps and an insinkerator, etc) and replacement of the valve looks fairly uncomplicated - or am I missing something!

roseyglow, Dec 12, 4:06am
sounds like the ajax valve needs adjusting or renewing, the overflow is running down pipe leaking thru the seal

maclad, Dec 12, 4:42pm
The ajax valve may just be dirty and need to be cleaned out and the washer replaced. When dirt gets on to the washer it cannot shut off, seal properly so water continually flows. The only place it can go is out the pipe.

marlin9, Dec 13, 3:03am
Also if mum in hospital turn the hot water off - she will not be using it and it just adds to the power bill (and water depending where you are - I did not look).

rpvr, Dec 14, 3:00pm
Yep, done that.