Gas hot water cylinder has steady drip from drain.

daryl14, Aug 22, 12:15am
Is this something that needs to be addressed and will it be a simple diy fix? Cheers.

wembley1, Aug 22, 3:21am
Is this from the relief valve?

You could try toggling the test lever. It may reset the valve (or it could make it worse).

daryl14, Aug 22, 9:55am
I haven't traced where the pipe comes from but relief valve sounds logical, and repairable. I assumed it may be a drain from the combustion side but have realised it is constant now.

koru67, Aug 22, 7:16pm
Outdoor or indoor cylinder?, for our outdoor cylinder it was recommended maintenance that 6 monthly you lifted the valve and released water for 30 seconds to clear any grit/gunk that might build up and cause leakage. Have you tried googling the cylinder type and maintenance schedule.

daryl14, Aug 23, 7:34am
Cheers, Indoor cylinder. I have lifted the relief valve today and let the water run through. It hasn't stopped the dripping but it does look like the valve can be easily unscrewed for replacement. I will see if the plumbing merchants have a replacement.

trade4us2, Aug 23, 1:08pm
Open up the relief valve and tell me if it looks like this inside
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/405583040.jpg

It seems that we are unable to get relief valves that don't rust in NZ, so I don't use them any more.

daryl14, Aug 25, 5:07am
The cylinder is a RUUD and the valve looks different from that pictured above. It is screwed into the top of the cylinder. When I eased the relief it felt like it was stuck or jammed. once I got it open the first time then it seemed to free up. still dripping the same amount from the outlet pipe outside the house so I will try to source a replacement relief valve.

aredwood, Aug 26, 11:24am
The OP has a mains pressure cylinder. So the valve it has is a TPR valve. (completely different to your valve).

daryl14, Aug 27, 6:42am
You're right aredwood. A temp/pressure relief valve. I bought a replacement today for $180. I did not know what it was until I took a photo of it in the dark and took it to the plumbers merchants. Will attempt to fit tomorrow.

trade4us2, Aug 27, 7:24am
Did you open up the old one to see what was wrong with it? I would really really like to know.

daryl14, Aug 27, 7:45am
The valve does not appear to be openable. I guess the seat is warn or has had a build up of minerals on it. Flushing several times hasn't helped.

aredwood, Aug 27, 12:09pm
That is exactly how they die. I have never been able to fix one just by flushing it with that lever. But assuming the cylinder has been installed properly (A cold water expansion valve has been fitted). The TPR valve will often easily last the life time of the cylinder.

trade4us2, Aug 28, 1:26am
I have the use of a metal bandsaw that would cut it open, to see if it's the usual nasty piece of junk.

daryl14, Aug 28, 8:17am
here is the old valve - it's pretty gunked up inside and seems like it has been constantly subject to oxidising mineral deposits.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/406624955.jpg

However, I have changed it out and still have a drip. Sadly it looks like I have changed the wrong valve. After a bit more investigating it looks like the cold relief valve also drains to the same drain line, as well as the cylinder bottom drain.
Bollocks.

trade4us2, Aug 28, 10:08am
Well the spring doesn't look rusty like the four valves I have had.

aredwood, Aug 29, 10:51am
It might also be the limiting valve. As if it lets too much pressure through. the cold expansion valve has to run all the time to stop the pressure in the cylinder getting too high.

daryl14, Oct 15, 4:42pm
This could be true. I might have to get a plumber to check it.