Semi blocked kitchen sink drain

Page 1 / 2
onion5, Jun 18, 2:06pm
We have our kitchen sink drain semi blocked, tried a plunger to start ,then a commercial cleaner, then just now baking soda hot water and vinegar , also had the u bend off and that was clear. Also tried out door hose full power down the sink, and still not completely free, in other words still gurgling and water does not all drain away like it should have heard of getting water blaster out ?.

quiz3, Jun 18, 2:26pm
Push the hose up the outlet pipe from outside. Take the fitting off the hose first.!
Anyway when hose up pipe turn on full and let it rip. Pull hose out then in again as far as it will go, repeat this a few times, anything caught up there will soon dislodge with the force of the water etc.
Good luck with that suggestion. If you have attacked it with no luck from the sink end hopefully it is from the s bend out. Cheers.

annies3, Jun 18, 4:03pm
Remember to put the plug in before trying from the other end

onion5, Jun 18, 4:09pm
thanks for ideas, I did think of that, but couldn't find drain outlet as I think what's happened is an owner before us has built a deck out from the house in line with the sink drains on the outside . I can get to the outlet drain but it won't be easy. will try that as the last resort before calling the plumbers.

mggd, Jun 18, 4:13pm
Wrap a rag around the hose so you can get plenty of water up the outlet, you might find a gunge build up at the drain outlet is your problem while you are there?

quiz3, Jun 18, 5:56pm
annies3, the water can't get past the S bend and mggd I don't think a rag is good, what if it get's lodged up the pipe.
Anyway onion5 keep looking for the outlet it can't be far away from the kitchen but you may find all the outlet pipes, eg bathroom, laundry etc may all be in the same place.
Good luck with it all.

mggd, Jun 18, 6:28pm
You wrap the rag around the hose and hold it against the outlet pipe to form a rough seal.

snoopy221, Jun 18, 6:37pm
Okay if ya still having problems with ya sink here is some real world advice and an explanation of how it works.
Note you need 2 people.
Step one bring outside garden hose to sink area.
Step two wind a smaller towel around hose and try hose in plug hole and be pretty confident it will seal around the plug hole with the towel wrapped around it.
Step three have your helper (second person) with in earshot-or on a speaker phone.
Step four put the plug in and allow a good four inches or so of water to build up in the sink.
Step five remove plug ram hose in to plug hole and have helper(second person ) turn on hose tap full bore.

Now by following these simple steps you now have a sealed pressurized section of water in the offending pipe which will now act as a hydraulic [in compressible water] ram and blow/force the offending blockage clear.

quiz3, Jun 18, 6:55pm
Really

snoopy221, Jun 18, 6:59pm
Yip really tis a no brainer just shoving the hose in whereas by having water in the sink first and allowing that water to fill the pipe and then inserting sealed mains pressure one has something that works very very well
And if you understood how hydraulics work well ya'd know/////

gabbysnana, Jun 18, 7:32pm
Sounds like the sewer main is backed up rather than you sink blocked.

androth2, Jun 18, 9:43pm
My galvanized drain pipe blocked from 30/40 years of calcium deposits. Part of pipe could be scrapped of the hard deposits at a joint but some calcium was unreachable.I bought Hydrochloric acid from Bunnings and poured it down the pipe after the S bend.The fumes and frothing were terrible and I put in more water when it stopped fuming, eventually the blockage cleared. The acid though attacks the galvanising also besides the calcium

pauldw, Jun 18, 11:16pm
If the main was blocked your gully trap outside would overflow. If you didn't have one of those your toilet being lower than the sink would be a mess.

The sink pipe probably has a wad of fat and food scraps clogging it.

sr2, Jun 19, 9:30am
It sounds like someone built a deck over the gully trap, it could already be overflowing?

christin, Jun 19, 11:29am
not always. i have had my sewer blocked too many times. never come out of the gully.

if its really bad it comes out the inspection cap thing on the lawn (concrete bit) but thats it.

pauldw, Jun 19, 4:33pm
That could be a Buchan Trap. Rather obsolete now and often the cause of blockages. They usually get removed if they are damaged.

maclad, Jun 19, 5:07pm
Useless info here but I find coffee grinds very good for blocking drainage pipes from sinks.

christin, Jun 19, 9:11pm
Blockages further down usually. Tree roots or other issues.

Old house 1930s

christin, Jun 19, 9:14pm
Just looked up Buchanan trap. Not one of those

onion5, Jun 22, 7:01pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, will try them tomorrow and hope one will work To get to the gully which I think is under the house I will need to crawl under a quite small space but will give it a go .that is the one to back flush sink out let pipe ,will try hose down sink again but with sink semi full also.

cantabman1, Jun 24, 9:08am
Just pour some liquid or granual costic powder into the sink running some hot water through it. Guaranteed to clean all the way through. Look for a chemical supply co on line for the caustic.

brightlights60, Jun 24, 11:48am
And try a home made drain bomb.
https://crunchybetty.com/clean-your-drains-baking-soda-vinegar/

I use these around 3 times a year and they keep our drains nice and clear. Nowadays you get a lot of fat deposits etc clogging up your drains.

pauldw, Jun 24, 12:46pm
The gully will be outside the foundations. If you do pressurize the pipe make sure the water is coming out at the gully if it comes clear. It has been known for a joint to pop leaving you with everything spilling under your house.

lythande1, Jun 24, 1:03pm
Oh god. prevention better than cure, if you have to get a drain person, it will cost.

Don't put fat down the sink, it causes bergs further along.
Or put fibrous stuff in wastemasters.

elect70, Jun 24, 1:52pm
My sewer was blocked got plumber in with the eel it went36M into the service main & stopped at next doors junction . Cost me $1500 to fix . Not first time , solo had been renting the housenext door & nappies wipes pads etc had blocked it at the junction . Luckily for me council reimbursed me as it was their service main .