Stinking kitchen sink

smoky80, Jan 7, 10:17pm
happy new year all.

our kitchen sink has started to stink. we put baking soda + white vinegar + hot water but it did not help much.
any other suggestions please? any recommended product? cheers

autumnwinds, Jan 7, 10:42pm
A bottle of a drain-clearing product?
There are plenty of eco-friendly ones these days, too, that are capable of dealing with fat buildup, etc, but sometimes it's just a job you have to deal with as best you can and maybe some heavy-duty product is needed to stop the buildup before using the eco-friendly type.

You can stop odours by straining all food scraps so they don't go down the drain, and dispose of them into a compost bin or worm farm. If you happen to have a "waste disposal" garbage muncher on your sink, consider removing that and replacing with a regular sink waste, as they're notorious for odours if not flushed correctly, or serviced properly.

lythande1, Jan 8, 7:35am
Take the trap off and clean out the accumulated gunk.
And don't stuff food scraps down it.

zirconium, Jan 8, 8:05am
I suggest a cup of almost boiling water with a couple of tablespoons of dishwasher powder in it. Pour it carefully down the drain wetting all the drain hole bits, and leave it soaking for 1/2 an hour or so. Rinse with warm water.

shanreagh, Jan 8, 8:18am
Have you used a plunger. may have smelly fungi stuff. Plunge using running water and then finish off with several jug loads of boiling water. If you can get to the gulley trap you can see what has been sent down the sink and often it is food scraps. You can get plug hole strainers.

grandad-doug, Jan 8, 8:35am
plunger is the best, cheap and reusable, use weekly

mechnificent, Jan 8, 4:53pm
Yup. Good in the shower too to get rid of hair and gunk.

wasgonna, Jan 8, 5:13pm
Yup. There are so many things to do with a plunger in the shower.

mechnificent, Jan 8, 6:04pm
Explain away.

tygertung, Jan 8, 8:11pm
Why not bleach?

jallen2, Jan 8, 8:33pm
Does your sink have an overflow near the top?
Mine has a little grate and that is plumbed down to the main pipe.
I figured out the smell comes from that. And I think somehow, the dishwasher pushes water up into the little pipe and then it just sits and ferments.
Anyway - I fill the sink with very hot water, dishwash liquid and bleach and let it run through the overflow for a while. So the sink is full to the top and is emptying through the outlet.
That gets rid of most of the odours :)

smoky80, Jan 9, 10:43am
Thank you all for your inputs

annie17111, Aug 26, 10:15pm
mine does the same thing.