Butlers sink

susievb, Jun 6, 8:00pm
Just wondering with a rectangle China sink, how tough are they? Only had a China bathroom sink but only washed hands in it, so for a kitchen will have to handle doing dishes in it . just worried it might chip or crack.

lythande1, Jun 7, 8:30am
You know most are made in china anyway? Son works at a place that does these sort of things. Even the italian ones, some are rejects, some not.
If it's straight, has no bubbles, tap holes are correct size, then it's fine.

nimmicky, Jun 7, 11:08am
Place a rubber mat thing in the base of it. Butler sinks are amazing.

patsprat, Jun 7, 11:47am
I really, really wanted one when we were redoing our kitchen (15 yrs ago) but DH was dead against it as he said it would chip etc. So I gave in and we put in a deep stainless sink - it's at the back of the kitchen and I have a double sink arrangement for most things at the other end. Still like the look of the ceramic butler's sink but now that I've been using the stainless one for 15 years for all the heavy baking dishes and all sorts of other big objects that need washing, I can appreciate the hard knocks it gets and I wonder what the china one would look like now. I love the practicality of that BIG sink in the kitchen tho.

the-lada-dude, Jun 7, 4:56pm
good idea, . in which way is it amazing ? . wanting something similar for a pumicecrete house i'm building, . the house looks like an adobe type that you would see in the Southwestern States of America or Mexico

ebygum1, Jun 7, 5:21pm
We only had a butler sink many years ago, did the dishes in a plastic bowl sitting in the sink.

gabbysnana, Jun 7, 8:26pm
Remind me of the twin laundry concrete sinks from the 60's.

ksam, Jun 9, 6:49pm
Stainless is a far easier option, you certainly won't chip it, that said, we have a double butlers in the kitchen, and a 700mm in the laundry, and I'll do it again in the next kitchen and laundry. Excellent size, easy to keep clean and look great too. Would you not get a nice car "in case it gets damaged"?

jan2242, Nov 2, 2:50am
I think I have one of these here. Many years ago rented an old place that had all sorts of treasures that the landlord didn't want. This sink is small, square, but has no drain hole and just a hole near the top for ? maybe a water pipe? I have never used it as have no idea on how the water would drain out of it. Oh, and it's made from marble