Semi blocked kitchen sink drain

Page 2 / 2
onion5, Jun 25, 2:00pm
Finally I think we may have fixed it , a dose of caustic soda over night and about 12pm a loud curgle sound and by morning, flushing out with cold water and looking good, Thanks for all the advice and comments .

trade4us2, Jun 25, 4:17pm
I wonder if that is what is blocking the sewer pipe in our street.
It blocks about every week. Sewage is currently running along the gutter and cars are splashing sewage on pedestrians. Of course I have notified all the relevant authorities without it being fixed.

bill1451, Jun 28, 7:15pm
Yea but if the sewer was blocked there would be other things going on like the toilet not flushing properly and gully traps overflowing.

bill1451, Jun 28, 7:17pm
how dumb is that putting nappies and wipes down the toilet, dont they watch the news, they need to go and work in the sewers for a week see what dumbos put down the drain.

elect70, Jun 29, 11:08am
When i told council they went crook about touching their pipe & it was only threat of DT that they paid me . . What they do is put a very high pressure water jet down the pipe . Get onto them everyday until they fix it

cantabman1, Jun 30, 9:46am
They are everywhere. The ferral renters next door to us dispose of there nappies in the recycle bin; or did until the council gave then an earful.

trade4us2, Jun 30, 11:06am
Somebody is putting a huge amount of water into the sewage system, and there is no need for that. The street is lower than all of the houses, so most of us just pipe our stormwater into the street gutter.
Since the sewer pipe is often blocked, every time it rains there is water coming out of the lid on the sewer pipe. There is a pool of sewage in the road that cars splash on to pedestrians for almost a day after it stops raining. So it's not water off the roof of the houses, it's drainage off one of the huge properties in the area.
The Auckland Council are only interested in stormwater pipes, and it's not that so they won't do anything.
Metrowater are only interested in sewer pipes, and it's not sewage so they won't do anything.
Meantime families walk past and are splashed with contaminated water.
Maybe the Health Department cares?

pauldw, Jun 30, 2:29pm
Once the street gutter goes underground it is probably running parallel to the sewer pipes. In Wellington it is common for both to be broken and mixing together.

elect70, Jun 30, 3:04pm
All they have to do is put a camera down it from nearest manhole . Often councils do a smoke test to seeif any stormwater drains are diverted into sewers . In there own interests as plant cant handle excess water ,

speeedy1, Jun 30, 4:07pm
It is a Health and Safety issue and someone should respond to that threat.
Mind you, ACC and Metro know how to dodge and dive. Iif you can get to speak with someone with authority you may have a chance but good luck with that; they have inbuilt stonewall systems to prevent the hoi poloi gaining access.

sla11, Oct 24, 5:08pm
Have old house too, built 1946. Periodically kitchen sink blocks. Try with Drano that we buy from Uncle Bills or Clearance Shed. Then we do the Vinegar & Baking Soda thing, hose up and down. Clears in the end but maybe not so lucky one day. We think the hidden pipes are old galvanised and may be falling to pieces. Has a grate/sieve inside the pipe before it gets to the drain too which makes it a bit difficult to flush from the outside. One time there was a dead mouse up the pipe by the grate/sieve which took a while to find! Still a dear old house, been here many years!