Moving rose

thea4, Dec 13, 1:57am
I have old fashioned roses red very full flower beautiful perfume one of which I would like to pot up to give to a friend who is moving house. It is in flower, how do I go about doing this? is it ok now or what time of the year is best? thank for help on this and other queries

maclad, Dec 13, 3:38am
Late Autumn/Winter is the best time as you risk losing the plant at this time of year. However if you want to do it now then reduce the plant by at least half, it will stand a much better chance of survival, try keeping as much soil as possible on the roots, water well for a day or two before removal, if you water it on the day you shift it the soil will be too wet and heavy to hang onto the roots, pot into potting mix, not soil, and keep up the water, water the foliage as well a few times daily. Place it in a shady or semi shady place for a 3 or 4 weeks and see what happens. Good luck.

thea4, Dec 13, 8:22am
thanks happy Christmas to you and yours

breness, Dec 13, 8:34am
Roses are very forgiving but with this hot weather it's a risk. If it were me I would reduce the top foliage by a third and once lifted from the ground give the roots a good prune as well.( about a third ) Shocking plants like this sends them into growth mode. Plant up in good potting soil with water retention crystals added ( no fertiliser at this stage ). Keep in a warm maybe semi shaded area until it starts growth again. It should bounce back in no time at all. Once you see the new growth give it diluted fertiliser. We moved many roses at this time of year and I didn't lose any of them.

punkinthefirst, Dec 13, 8:56am
Take some cuttings as insurance, as well.
It IS a risk, shifting them at this time of the year, but the more of the rootball you can lift, the less the shock will be to the plant. I, personally, would try to leave it til winter, so that I could prepare it well.

lythande1, Dec 13, 4:40pm
I have done this several times.
All lived and thrived.
They may wither and look bad for a bit - ignore that, they're still alive and just establishing themselves again.

wheelz, Dec 13, 8:20pm
I would take a cutting and gift that once rooted and growing well, old fashioned roses strike very readily. But don't use new growth.
Yes, it is possible to do it now. but with the risk of losing it, especially if the giftee and or the recipient isn't viligent with its care , which will now be in a stressed state.

paynta1, Dec 16, 4:35am
I move them any time of the year and they stay alive

samanya, Dec 16, 5:07am
I agree with maclad @ #2 & breness @#3.
I wouldn't dream of moving any at the moment, where I live, but if you (or nature) can keep the water up to it, after it's shift, it should be OK . roses are very forgiving, bless them. Good luck.

john946, Dec 16, 5:08pm
I'd like to try taking cuttings from some of my roses but I've never done this - does it need to be from bush roses, or can it be from climbers or standards? Could someone explain the procedure plse? Thanks, C

macandrosie, Dec 17, 12:49am
If you want to do it now, prune it hard as in a winter prune so cutting back at least 2/3rds. Remove any big leaves & pot up. Give a good soaking, Also if there any really big roots you could trim as well. My mother in law always said 'you can never kill a rose'. I have tried this & got away with it in the summer!

samanya, Jul 5, 1:40pm
I don't know if I follow the correct procedure, but I just dip the cuttings in rooting medium, take off any prickles (I think it's preferable to have a cutting with a 'heel') & poke them in to a shady spot. I've found that some roses will take better than others. Carpet roses & old fashioned seem to be the easiest, in my experience.