Nee to lift bulbs to move house

anne1955, Apr 29, 8:23pm
I have just been told I have to shift as owner wants house back for family I have lots of bulbs Glad's and Cala Lilies mainly. They haven't finished dying off yet and wondering about lifting I was weeding the other day and there's so many wonderful new tiny bulbs as well. Can I just pull them gently and keep them to put in later? Ideas please I so don't want to loose all the lovely things I have grown now for the last couple of years. Thanks in advance. I am in the deep south lol so growing here isn't the same as the nice warmer places. :) Ooops sorry for typo

wheelz, Apr 29, 8:36pm
if they still have plenty of foliage, I would be digging the clump, dirt and all into pots, then replant when at new home, you may have less blooms next year, but the bulbs will survive.

fantail8, Apr 29, 8:58pm
as above, except instead of pots I have mine in seed raising trays or bulb trays (if you can find them which I haven't been able to hence the seed raisng trays) as I know at some stage we will be moving on (most likely in winter)

skin1235, Apr 29, 10:55pm
bugga, you've spent a lot of time and effort on that place too, it was virtually uninhabitable when you moved in
where to now?

yes, just lift them with a good clump of dirt around them, drop that into a bucket or tub of some sort and leave them alone until next autumn, plant them out then in your new place

gilligee, Apr 30, 4:05am
If you have lots I would be tempted to put them into supermarket bags.
So easy to carry when you move and you don't need to buy extra pots.

anne1955, Apr 30, 5:48am
Hi Skin the where am I going is the million dollar question. I think she has delusion's if she thinking of coming out here weekends et lol Meant to have been able to stay 5 years But as it to be used by family and owner cancels all previous agreement's. And rentals here are just about a non event and when they can be found they aren't cheap. And the couple recently that have been priced realistically I'll bet will do as other have done, and move before next winter lol. As they are low lying and flood worse than here and get no sun in winter at least if there is any I get it here.
I just have to pass it over to the universe and cross my fingers.

Yes up lifting all my garden beds is going to be a pain, like the paving shed and other things lol Not leaving it all.

bluefrog2, Jan 18, 2:43pm
I'd put them into plastic bags too, for easy moving. Bag, then into a spare cardboard box so everything is in one place. If you dig up bulbs, wrap them in newspaper first to reduce condensation that could make the bulbs mouldy if you have to leave them in the bag for a week or so.