Just bought some spring bulbs from op-shop

buzzybee1, May 30, 8:06am
12 x daffodils and 6 x Hyacints, real cheap. They all look very healthy and good size. Not being a gardener, I would like to grow them in containers indoors. Would really appreciate some advice as to how to go about that. Do I need special bulb soil or will they be ok in ordinary potting mix? I am a pensioner with not too much money to spend.

maclad, May 30, 8:38am
A good potting mix should suffice just do not over water them and keep them where there is good light but not in direct sun. Even grow outside until the flowers are near ready to open then bring them inside.

buzzybee1, May 30, 8:58am
Thank you maclad, I'd just bought a bag of general potting mix from the warehouse and didn't want to buy anything else, so I'll be alright with that then I hope.
So it is better to start them off in the cold until they show buds? I thought maybe they might want the slightly warmer temp of the indoors?

oh_hunnihunni, May 30, 9:01am
When the hyacinths show green tips, pop a loo roll inner over them. It helps the plant grow up to the light and make a nice strong stem to hold the flower head.

I mix sheep pellets with my potting mix and use that to half fill the pot with a layer of plain mix on top, then bulbs, then cover. By the time the roots hit the good stuff the plants are ready for a good feed. Mine are all outside till the flowers make them worth admiring.

buzzybee1, May 30, 9:14am
Oh_hunni, I'm not sure I want to buy sheep pellets for this small amount of potting mix, I have some orchid fertiliser and some Lush houseplant food, would either of those do? BTW, the potting mix says it has plant food mixed in it to last xxx months, is that not enough for bulbs?

maclad, May 30, 9:38pm
You will be fine doing just as you intend.

buzzybee1, May 30, 10:33pm
Thank you maclad, my old yates gardening book doesnt say much about indoor growing, just that you can plant daffodils quite close together, so i put all twelve in a 24cm bowl. It says nothing about hyacinths, I wonder if I can put all 6 in one pot or would they be better separate?

oh_hunnihunni, May 30, 11:35pm
You can certainly just use what you have, no worries. I'm just a doubter when it comes to potting mix (I use a lot lol) so I amend it as a routine. I also reuse mix year after year, so it is a habit. I use Warehouse sheep pellets, keep them dry and a bag lasts me a year or so - including all my potted vegies.

oh_hunnihunni, May 30, 11:37pm
You can layer bulbs if the pot is deep enough, for a better display, but bear in mind if you want to use the bulbs again next season, they need enough room and food to store to do that, and to make new bulbs.

buzzybee1, May 30, 11:53pm
Ok, I might follow your advice as I've also just planted some salad veges in pots on my warm and sunny back porch. Q, how does one use the pellets, can I just push them between the existing plants or do they need to be crumbled and/or mixed before planting?

maclad, May 31, 1:08am
You can place them on the top but personally I mix them with the pot mix. I think they work better if done like this as they can tend to dry out on the top

harrislucinda, May 31, 1:30am
so put a empty loo roll over must do that as first time I have 3 in a pot thanks

jbsouthland, Dec 27, 4:41pm
I plant them deep in the soil to allow good root support once flowering.
years ago I planted crocuses in antique soup tureens for inside decoration. Had a cold dark character house that they thrived in and only put out into warm room once ready to flower.
got many comments . you do need to plant gazillions for a good display and the yellows seem the hardest but scattered a few whites and purple ones through as well :)
any bulb can be grown inside I have found.