Can you grow seedlings in winter ? for spring

daz1968, May 19, 6:55pm
Hi
Sorry not much of a gardener, looking for advice please. we have a slope on an area of section , possibly getting erosion as not much plantings and in a shallow gully with tall natives, we want to do alot of planting on the bare area;s in spring, is it best to wait till spring and plant established plants ? or can we start growing seedlings now in the garage or house ( gets good light ) also what plants are good for shaded , filtered light spots that can grip into soil well and help prevent erosion. thanks :) any help would be useful

tygertung, May 19, 8:45pm
I reckon you will want to start them off in winter because I always find if I start them in spring it is mid summer by the time they are big enough to plant out.

apollo11, May 19, 9:01pm
I've found there's little advantage to letting plants grow bigger in pots and bags. They seem to sense that their roots are restricted and slow their growth down. If they are big enough to plant out, plant them now and they will have ample time to settle before spring, but make sure they aren't competing with weeds. Are you looking at planting shrubs or more trees?

highclouds, May 20, 12:03am
Best plants would be natives that are suited for your location , depending on the area ? ,I would head down to a local native plant nursery usually they are quite happy to sell to the public and their advice would be just what you need.

brouser3, Jul 24, 1:44pm
I read somewhere that autumn is the best time to plant them - because they are fairly dormant during the winter, it lets the roots 'settle' so that when spring comes they initiate growth as normal. If you plant in spring, the roots suffer a setback from being disturbed in the replant process and are then faced with the difficulties of the upcoming summer season eg water supply, heat exposure etc