Winter Vegetables

porcupine_tree, Jan 19, 9:54pm
Hello, I am a first time gardener really. I have always grown herbs and the odd lettuce but this year I have been growing a lot of salad stuff,potatoes, peas,courgette etc but have never grown anything for use in Winter and this is something I am really interested in doing. Can anybody offer advice on when to plant things and if now would be the best time to germinate seeds for plants to eat in the Winter. I am worried that if I start seedlings now with the Summer heat they will all shoot to seed and I won't get any plants that reach full maturity as what seems to be happening with the Pak Choi seedlings I germinated. Furthermore what do people generally like to grow for their Winter crops and has anybody had luck with growing lettuce over the Winter period without using a green house! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

gardie, Jan 19, 10:07pm
I too am going to give lettuce a try over winter although we live just north of Auckland.I have raised beds which also helps overwintering as the water can drain away from the roots of the plants.I see you are in Dunedin so it will be quite different there - hopefully someone will come along that lives down your way.I was reading the other day that we should be sowing seeds for winter crops now but I think its a tad early for warmer areas.I have just planted some more beans, zucchini and lettuce to continue with cropping and I also put in some basil - I find it doesn't do any good unless its really warm.My earlier lot is doing nothing so thought I give it a go now.Pak Choi is a very fast grower.Broccoli and Cauli seedlings are a lot slower although you need to keep them covered to keep out the white butterflies that are still around.

stevee6, Jan 19, 10:31pm
Have a look in NZ Gardener at the articles for southern growers, as they deal with this topic each month.

helianthus, Jan 19, 10:38pm
Cos Lettuce, Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Leeks.

owl32, Jan 19, 11:37pm
Broccoli, cauli and cabbage, also onions and spring onions to add to th list above.

helianthus, Jan 19, 11:40pm
I find the best winter Kale is the Russian variety 'Raggedy Jack' - seems more tasty than the other varieties.

lythande1, Jan 29, 4:04pm
You can do 2 things, grow "winter" veges for harvest late autumn or grow things that will sit over winter and resume early spring. There is no winter crop as such in your part.
Leeks will sit happily in snow and frost and do nothing until it warms up again.
Things like swede can be started late summer for late autumn, early winter harvesting. In fact they need the frost to be any good.
Yum, send me one will you! Thanks.

Silverbeet should handle it for quite a while too.

Kale, carrots, beetroot, parsnips. peas - but make sure the peas come ready before the real frosts start.