Growing vegis in winter

treens2, Mar 25, 3:30am
Have recently planted out cabbage and silverbeet.We get frosts up to about minus 6 degrees.Should I enclose the areain plasticyour thoughts on how they will cope without protection from frosts.I have never grown vegis in the winter before but thought I would give it a go as they are bloody dear at the supermarkets in the winter

cantabman1, Mar 25, 4:03am
What you have planted wont be effected by the frosts. You could add broccolli, brussel sprouts, and carrots if your quick. nothing grows that much during the hardest part of winter, but as soon as there is a little warmth in the air, they will take off again.

strebor1, Mar 25, 4:04am
The frosts will benfit the brussel sprouts, they are much nicer grown in colder climates.

macandrosie, Mar 25, 7:55am
While they may grow in part before winter, they might sit for a while then take off again in the spring as it gets warmer

treens2, Mar 25, 8:53am
Ok, thanks for all your advice whatstops vegis growing in the winter,is it a lack of light or heat or a combination of both,keen to get your thoughts

lythande1, Apr 28, 10:41pm
You will find all growth stops over winter. You can happily grow swedes, leeks - they love frost. The leeks will stop and resume gain in spring without being affected. Swede does better when maturing in frost. You would have need to start them earlier than now though.