Winter tomatoes.

Page 1 / 2
patxyz, Nov 23, 4:33am
Yes, I realise it is a long way away but just curious if anyone 'grows' tomatoes during winter!

My reckoning is that the fruit needs to be setting mid autumn so can ripen during the coldest months.

Which varieties!I aint looking at growing beefstake etc, mainly cherry / determinate types for (maybe) obvious reasons.

edited for spelling

patxyz, Nov 23, 4:34am
Should add.

Appreciate any replies but if you could put your location as northern NZ has warmer winters than southern NZ.

mark_g, Nov 23, 5:53am
No help to you but I'm thinking of trying a Siberian variety at end of summer. Hoping that if they are true Siberian then if they grow there, then they will grow in our autumn/early winter. Haven't researched it yet so I may be in for a disappointment, but hoping .

macandrosie, Nov 23, 6:17am
there's another variety called "arctic" which prefers colder conditions but you'd need to be growing them in a glasshouse, tomatoes frosts very readily.

patxyz, Nov 23, 8:25pm
Will be grown in a greenhouse.Am looking at trying a few varieties - Siberian, Sub Arctic plenty and a couple of other varieties whose name escapes me atm.

velenski, Nov 23, 8:32pm
im growing siberian in invercargill ,have gone through two frosts and are fine ,lots of flowers on them now.

patxyz, Nov 23, 8:34pm
Are they outdoors velenski!When did you plant / transplant them!

velenski, Nov 23, 8:38pm
one is outdoor ,the rest are indoor hydroponics under lights ,grew them from seeds late august .

velenski, Nov 23, 11:20pm
just checked and first tiny tomato is growing ! yay !

lythande1, Nov 24, 4:05am
So long as they are warm you could get away with it, indoors, heated glasshouse and so on.although be aware daylight length does have a wee bit to do with it too.
They do not like frost or cold.

elect70, Nov 24, 4:14am
Thedope growers would knowbest way. Wred up aattic for guyoncelined&heated&grow lux lights .

patxyz, Nov 24, 7:30am
So I can grow a beefstake tomato in the middle of winter!

Cool.Thanks for this information.Can you share any other secret tips!

annies3, Nov 24, 8:00am
I had great fun growing a tomato indoors here, Otago, over the winter infact it carried on producing fruit for two years or more I just cut it back and let it grow again,Aimish Paste, beautiful rich flavoured good size and the first flush of fruit was 14kgs, I havent had such a good run with any other variety, I know good light is very important as well as good feeding, water and crop support

lythande1, Nov 29, 6:42pm
Maybe, like I said, heated glasshouse.too cold and it won't grow. Real cold and it will die.

velenski, Nov 29, 9:49pm
my outside siberian is growing like crazy, heaps of flowers and now a few tiny tomatoes ,its in an old glasshouse not heated and most of the glass is missing :) ,the inside is a bit small but still with flowers and tiny tomatoes.

nico606, Nov 30, 12:05am
Grow them hydroponically and use a water heater to keep the water at about 22 degrees, keeping the roots warm will definately help, dont go to warm though as this will deplete oxygen in the water.
Or grow them in pots and put them on a heatpad, this will keep the roots warm and possibly raise the ambient temperature if they are in a glass house.

nauru, Nov 30, 2:04am
I tried these a couple of times as did my DIL but we didn't have much success with them.Hope you have a better result, keepus posted.

marymac7, Nov 30, 9:05pm
Hi , I'm interested in growing tomatoes in winter . Location - Winton .What / Where is best place to source seeds ! Anybody !

nauru, Dec 1, 5:46am
I bought mine from TM but I'm sure that I have seen the Siberian seeds in either Bunnings or Mega Mitre10.I think that Kings also have them and I believe that you can order online.

patxyz, Dec 7, 3:46am
*nudge*

donnabeth, Dec 9, 2:03am
I grew a sweet 100 in a tub on a sunny terrace. It gave fruit right through to August-only a small number, but enough for a taste each day.

velenski, Dec 10, 10:43pm
my outdoor siberian is growing like crazy ,had a quick count and have 80 flowers and 20 of thoses are now tiny tomatoes :)

patxyz, Dec 12, 7:53am
Wanna save some seeds valenski!

Pretty please!

nauru, Dec 12, 8:43am
That's good to hear, maybe I will give them another go. What type of seeds do you have pls!

velenski, Dec 14, 11:13am
from nicheseeds.co.nz