Do you weed your lawn in winter?

digmen1, May 25, 7:25pm
I started a full on hand weeding program on my small lawn early this year.

As I pull out each dandelion etc I filled the hole with top soil and compost etc and put n a few grass seeds.
The results have been excellent. (the lawn is starting to look good and people are commenting)

My question is do you think it would be wise to stop weeding now it is winter.
Or keep weeding.My worry is that when I pull out dandelions it leaves a hole. If I fill the hole I will have a bare patch, And if I fill the hole and put in some grass seeds, they probably won't grow in winter.

Should just wait until spring.?

harrislucinda, May 25, 9:02pm
just how many weeds do you have in the lawn ? when I cut the dandelions yes leaves a hole but only little and find it covers back by itself So I think if you weed over winter and don't like the hole just fill in and sow again in spring

digmen1, May 25, 9:12pm
I'd say over a hundred now. But a lot less than at the start of the year.

My point is that if I fill in the hole, then I I wont know where the hole was to sew more grass seed.

budgel, May 25, 9:30pm
Given your concerns, I would wait until it is warm enough before continuing.
A direct application weedkiller will kill off the weeds and not leave a hole, just dab it onto each weed.

moltenfire, May 25, 11:46pm
Have you heard of 'Turfix'? Waste of time pulling them by hand unless you get 105% of their fine roots.

russ18, May 25, 11:49pm
Supposed to weed ya lawn? I just mow it occasionally.

lythande1, May 26, 12:36am
I don't weed it in summer either.
Just mow it.

kaddiew, May 26, 4:38am
If I weeded my lawn there'd be nothing left. I just mow it.

digmen1, May 26, 5:00am
I am lucky in that I have a small flat lawn.

When I bought my house it was full of dandelions and daisies in half of it. The other half was kikuyu.

I have been pulling out the dandelions and daises by hand and filling the holes and sewing grass seed. And fertilizing every few months.

The lawn is starting to look a whole lot better.
I am convinced (and I hope) that if I continue this effort in spring and summer that it will be 90% weed free.

Then keeping it that way will be easier.

I also have quite a few small areas of clover and Hydrocotyle (how come this weed only has a latin name and not a colloquial one like all other weeds). I am also working on these.
The Kikuyu areas, I am just going to dig up and re-sow bit by bit.

maclad, May 26, 5:28am
I love what you are doing, I also weed my small lawn by hand, normally, but sometimes use a broadleaf spray on it. Lawns look lovely weed free and are a pleasure to have and look at. I have visitors who say they would just love to get down and roll in my lovely grass, lol. I would just remove weeds as you are doing and not worry about sowing till spring. Even then I would wait a wee while as if your lawn is looking good, now, you may well find the grass will cover the spots anyway. if you suddenly find weeds growing instead of grass then, yes, resow. To help keep your lawn looking great you will find that, in spring, scarifying it with a rake to remove the dead turf really brings it on. Then you probably could oversow it for a thicker, quicker result while the soil is a bit loose and the seed can bed in better. Good luck.

rainrain1, May 26, 6:15am
Use a sharp serrated edge vegetable knife to get rid of the dandelion, they are pain, I hate them. I try to remove the yellow flowers before they seed, but you've got to be quick. They are the only things I try to deal with in the lawn. Only because they get into my gardens and seed everygoddamwhereimaginable

tweake, May 26, 6:30am
it would have been quicker, easier and more successful to have roundup the lot and reseeded the whole lawn.

digmen1, May 26, 8:03am
Probably, but I always like doing things bit by bit.

tweake, May 26, 9:20am
that will take years for something you can do in weeks.
dandelions, kikuyu ( probably others in there to,) are extremely difficult to get rid of bit by bit as they simply regrow from bits left behind.

sally63, May 27, 7:59am
I love your attitude! Life is way too fast these days Everyone wants instant gratification now.It is very refreshing to me to hear of someone who is prepared to work on a project bit by bit. In my book, that is how it should be

portly, Dec 29, 9:42am
Have you tried a spot of salt in the centre of flat weeds, quick and effective.
But I too hand weed and spray, all year roun but more in the spring early summer.