Asbestos in decramastic roof tiles

bergkamp, Apr 8, 8:49pm
https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/latest/124721375/painters-good-turn-becomes-asbestos-nightmare-thats-a-warning-to-others

ok i've known about this for a while and am always mindful about H and S but i think this is way over the top - how are the fibers even friable when caked in bitumen (as opposed to other mediums)? and replacing all the carpet becouse some of the water got through a window .

most of us have millions of asbestos fibers in our lungs , its all about the amount you are exposed to and for how long ,

that said , its a warning to homeowners with decramastic roofs

clangie, Apr 8, 9:10pm
the asbestos is in the glue holding the chip on, if your worried you can cut a few random bits of tile off and get it tested. thats why if they are going to paint those tiles they apply a moss killer type spray to clean the tiles when it rains-then they can prep/rechip and paint

martin11, Apr 9, 9:38am
Hitting the roof with a water blaster broke up the coating and spread it around the place .

kitkat66, Apr 9, 10:47am
As the homeowner you can scrape a few bits off into a plastic bag and get it tested for free. I did this with mine and ended up having to get a new roof.

martin11, Apr 9, 11:52am
A person who is in the building trade should have known about asbestoes problems with homes . Been well documented .

gabbysnana, Apr 9, 12:29pm
decramatic roofs have been well hidden you mean, the scallywags come out of the cracks wanting $14k to paint seal them, when you can replace the whole roof cheaper.

pauldw, Apr 9, 1:47pm
Can you though? Don't you have to pay a pirate to remove the old roof before the roofer starts?

martin11, Apr 9, 2:38pm
Not if the tiles have asbestoes in them ! Well over that to get them removed by a licenced firm . Then the cost of the new roof .

xs1100, Apr 18, 8:37pm
had a old decramastic tile roof tested and replaced with coloursteel highly recommend

lythande1, Aug 1, 12:14pm
Look at the roads. they break up after a while. You'd rather risk your lungs?