Roof Painting

rusty-bones, Sep 15, 12:07am
Can anyone tell me how much paint might be needed to paint a basic three bedroom size house roof? Nothing flash just standed. I will find out when I can how many square metres it is. Just wanting an idea while Im at work. Also the paint with the primer already in it, are these good? Thanks

rusty-bones, Sep 15, 12:26am
Also is one or two coats the way to go? Thanks

apollo11, Sep 15, 12:46am
I used around 25 litres to paint our place, roughly 110 square metres floor area. Corrugated iron was rusty in spots so touched up where needed with rust killer and scrubbed with soapy water.A single coat of Resene gloss with a soft broom was all that was needed. The builder who did the building report for the new owners said it was the best roof paint job he had seen (!).

rusty-bones, Sep 15, 1:00am
Excellent job. Did you do two coats? Some people seem to pay an extraodinary amount to have their roofs painted.

rusty-bones, Sep 15, 1:01am
Ops sorry re read. ha ha

apollo11, Sep 15, 5:43am
The paint went on thick and fast, so formed a nice smooth gloss, which I found to my detriment when I went up there again. Went skating off, through the guttering and fell onto the concrete a few metres below. Missus thought it was hilarious.

golfdiver, Sep 15, 8:11am
This is why idiots should leave it to the pros

apollo11, Sep 15, 8:35am
That's why losers like you should stay in bed.

nonsta, Sep 15, 12:10pm
now. now. play nice!

survivalkiwi, Sep 15, 6:32pm
That can be said about most diy.

golfdiver, Sep 15, 6:50pm
So you had a fall, wrecked the gutter and fell a few metres onto the concrete. Do you have any idea how close you came to dying? I've known people take a tumble exactly like that and one caught his foot in the gutter going over and long story short , he's dead. Besides, the "builder" can't be up to much if the best roof painting job he's ever seen was with a broom and one coat. Airless spraying does a far better job. More even and zero bristle marks.

apollo11, Sep 15, 7:24pm
No worries, I'd done the guttering myself so it was simple to fix. The roof was old, a bit pitted and rusty. The brush put on a thick coat very quickly that smoothed out without any brush marks and only took a few hours to do. I have a sprayer, this was far easier to do with a soft broom.
Life is risk, some of my pursuits would be considered dangerous and I've had some close shaves- but haven't needed to see a doctor for twenty years. You just learn and do it smarter next time. You should get back to your safe comfy bed, don't want to risk a blood clot or something.

golfdiver, Sep 15, 7:40pm
Sunshine, I work at height every single day and have for 25 plus years. I've never taken a potentially deadly fall yet. As for the even coat with no brush marks in only one coat. I simply don't believe you. Close to 1500 coated roofs and viewing jobs done with brooms tells me you are talking smack or you did two coats

barrie2, Sep 15, 7:49pm
I found that even using a soft brush needed a bit of pressure to get the paint nicely into the channels of corrugations. This then 'partly' wiped off the paint on the 'ridge' or humps of corrugated iron. Brush marks looked bad hence 2 coats needed.
2 points: if you can DIY correctly - do it.
Otherwise find an honest pro who will not cut any corners, if there is such a person. [Sorry to honest pro's but having been ripped off so many times you become cynical].

golfdiver, Sep 15, 10:35pm
I tend to agree with you Barrie2, we no longer offer roof coating now as the industry is chocka block with rogues cutting corners trying to make a quick buck. Quality and safety take a back seat for these guys. We now concentrate on roofing and moss control

apollo11, Sep 15, 11:22pm
Sunshine, I must just naturally be a better painter than you :o). It was just one coat, done quickly with a soft broom, that used 25 litres of paint. Cost me around $350 to do at the time- on an old roof that was close to needing to be replaced, why would I want to pay a professional thousands?

golfdiver, Sep 16, 6:50am
Yeah right ! Given I have been flown to the Middle East to paint a 12000 m2 roof for the manufacturer as they knew it would look like new when done, I don't think my painting skills need comparing with a broom boy. I'm sure to the uneducated eye your single coat broom job looked very nice when first done. I'm also sure that a paint chemist with a micrometer would have found fault for the very reasons barrie2 mentioned.

golfdiver, Sep 16, 6:58am
Because a pro wouldn't have placed himself in a potentially fatal position and would have used edge protection

maddie44, Sep 29, 12:16pm
Not even that, a pro would have enough common sense to use appropriate footwear on a slippery gloss roof.