Painting Stucco- what to use?

uniracer, May 24, 12:23am
This is for 1950s' family rental that is due for a new coat of paint.

We have a couple of quotes from different painters, and one of them is a big fan of Sto paint for stucco cladding. The reason he said was that it flexes slightly, so avoids cracking of the finish (although we don't have any major issues).

The other painter recommended two coats of Resene X200, and they say it has a 'watertight membrane', whatever that means.

Any paint experts here?

nilaveli, May 24, 12:38am
Not familiar with the 1st paint mentioned but we had a block of flats next to a motorway that was developing fine cracks everywhere in the stucco we were reccomended to get it painted with x200 as it is a high build elastomeric coating years later it is still crack free and looks great http://www.resene.co.nz/archspec/datasheets/d62-X-200-Weathertight-Membrane.pdf

jkp58, May 24, 12:50am
x200 has fibres in it . It fills small ccraks up to1mm wide .they allso have abrushable membrane designed for bigger cracks Coverage is 7 square metres to litre. for x200

oh_hunnihunni, May 24, 7:01am
Our first house was old stucco. Two storied which made it a challenge for me, but I was advised to use a soft broom rather than a brush or fluffy roller, and it worked a treat. No fancy paints in those days, but the broom idea was a winner.

jonners2013, May 24, 8:02am
any good exterior paint made for walls is going to be fine. i've just done my exterior in Dulux Weathershield X10 which also claims to be flexible and stretchy and fills in minor blemishes/cracks.

jenny188, May 24, 9:39am
Water based paints; acrylics are plastic based and are stretchy as opposed to oil based . Prefixes like X10 stand for exterior 10 year life, or similar( 40 seasons = 10 yrs) . Also the thicker the paint the better (generally). 2 coats of hi quality will cover as well as 3 coats of lower quality (cost) with less labor input. so the labor cost off- sets the paint / time cost. i.e you get what u pay for

uniracer, May 24, 10:56pm
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I should have said it would be STO lastic paint, which is I think quite a thick flexible membrane type paint.

mrsglaucoma11, May 25, 2:53am
Being a plasterer by trade we use X200. The Sto is also a good paint but we don't use it.

budgel, Jan 1, 6:04am
Either will be fine.