Protecting carpet when painting skirting

christin, Apr 2, 7:33am
What's the easiest way to do this, sorry newbie here.

Masking tape? Or remember seeing some guide or guard you can hold that sits there to protect it? I assume drop sheet is hard to get just right?

Don't trust myself to do it without the odd drip .

stevo2, Apr 2, 7:55am
I use a 600mm long piece of aluminium sheet about 1mm thick by about 100mm high. You can also use stiff cardboard or plastic. Mega10 have a plastic version for sale for a few $

christin, Apr 2, 8:00am
Thanks. I have seen someone using something with a small right angle edge that goes down between carpet and skirting butnthatbwas ages ago and wasn't sure if it was common

jkp58, Apr 2, 8:08am
you can get plastic that sticks to carpet that is 300mm wide great for protecting carpet

gardenz107, Apr 2, 8:08am
We use these - they are plastic and come in packs of about 6 from memory. Not expensive. We get ours from Bunnings or Mitre10

christin, Apr 2, 8:19am
j

Thanks. Did look on their site but no luck but will visit tomorrow

spiritofgonzo, Apr 2, 9:23am
Ive used the plastic things . but I still get paint on the carpet. It either leajs through the gap or marks it when I pull it away after placing and painting. Also you end up with a line at the bottom, since I went from green to white. which you probably wouldn't notice if you're changing shades of white. Anyway I have found a cutting in brush (angled) and a slow hand gets a better result

spiritofgonzo, Apr 2, 9:23am
*leaks

vivienney, Apr 7, 12:20am
I use a steel ruler - have it horizontally up against skirting and bend forward so I can slip thin layer of paint onto skirting. Works really well.

morrisjvan, Apr 8, 5:10am
wow ,you get Eric Clapton to paint your skirtings ? i'm impressed .

mtbotrev, Apr 8, 7:56am
I have 300 by 300 sheet of thin brass from my late FIL. Works great so something similar will do it. Just remember to wipe it down(incl the thin edge) after each time to keep it and carpet clean. I angle it out 45 degrees when painting.

treens2, Feb 9, 8:49am
When I last painted skirting boards I use an oven tray