Any good tips on homemade carpet cleaner.

tansey, Aug 25, 10:42am
I want something that will take out what looks to be spilt coffee.

tobie2, Aug 25, 10:51am
Be very careful what you use, as you could "set" the stain and then it may not come out.

brightlights60, Aug 25, 11:20am
Depends, if your carpet is pure wool, you can get nearly anything out of it. With nylon, no. If its been scotch guarded, it shouldn't stain. Many moons ago I worked for a carpet company, I can get most things out of wool carpet simply by first blotting, with either paper towels or a towel. Then use a mix of lux flakes in warm water and add a cap of white vinegar. Blot the stain, wet it, then blot it all up (till it looks dry) with an old towel. I stand on it to take all the water up in the old towel. When it dries, the stain should be gone. If not, let it dry completely over a couple of days, then use an old fashioned carpet powder cleaner, called Dry-Cleana-Ene. Its in a yellow and green can and you get it from carpet stores. Its a fine grey powder, you sprinkle it on then rub it in (I use an old dish brush). When it dries, it lifts the stain out and you simply vacuum it off. I once got raspberry cordial out of pale green carpet with this method.

tansey, Aug 25, 11:32am
Yes it is wool carpet. There are a couple of unknown marks so I will try that method. Any tips also for what looks like grease?

nathzx, Aug 25, 11:49am
Acetone, but test it on somewhere hidden first.

digmen1, Aug 25, 7:22pm
Yes I am wanting one of those too.

I sued to buy the Dixons carpet cleaner in a while plastic bottle. It was great.

Now Countdown don't seem to have it.

I refuse to use spray cleaners as I think they are wasteful and hardly ever work.

The trick is to dab it on and rub it with a stiff brush. Don't rub it in.

brightlights60, Aug 26, 9:00am
Use exactly the same method. Wool carpet is easier to clean than any other carpet, because it contains natural repellent (think about the lanolin in wool). Scotchguard which is put on nylon and man made carpets tries to replicate this).
Any stains on wool carpet (except for water stains) sit on the actual carpet, don't penetrate deeply and should be able to be removed. If you can't remove it, call in a professional as they have a few tricks up their sleeves. I have never had (in 35 years) a mark on wool carpet I could not shift. The only thing that ruins wool carpet is water, as once water soaks through (which is why you should always blot and dry thoroughly) it soaks down to the underlay, and brings up the colour of the underlay if you have one of the coloured waffle ones. Then its an insurance job.

doug57, Aug 26, 11:11pm
Use an old 2L plastic clean milk container.
[Write 'recipe' in permanent marker on side of it!]
Add 1L water, squirt dishwashing liquid and 1/4 cup white vinegar.
Pour onto stain. blot off [stand on folded towels] repeat if necessary.
We've used this for YEARS. works on coffee, pet 'accidents'. just about EVERYTHING! Removes stain and odor.

[Edited to add. I'd be tempted to try a little bit of 'desolvit' on the grease ]

digmen1, Aug 27, 5:29am
Yes white vinegar and baking soda are natures wonder cleaners.

sr2, Aug 27, 9:39pm
LOL; neither white vinegar nor baking soda occur naturally, they are manufactured!
(Have to say however the both are fantastic for cleaning).

summersunnz, Aug 28, 1:27pm
From a carpet laying company 21 years ago.

Fill with cold water a 1.5litre fizzy bottle or similar size bottle with a top, add 1 tablespoon white vinegar & 2 teaspoons of clothes washing liquid.

Top on, turn the bottle gently to mix the liquids - so it doesn't froth.

Saturate stain area with this mix, rub lightly, place a folded towel over the top, and stand on it. This absorbs the liquid and mark into the towel.

Turn the towel over and repeat standing on it to absorb liquid.

Repeat if necessary by saturating area again.

I keep this made up in a well-marked bottle in my laundry cupboard. I've taken beetroot stain from a carpet, after a dish of beetroot was accidentally dropped, and haven't used anything else for the past 21 years.

marl, Aug 30, 6:53am
Try baby wipes,I use them to get stains off carpet.Best thing I have ever used.

jean246, Oct 12, 5:48pm
summersunnz, have used this recipe for carpet cleaner for years, works wonders