Vacuum cleaner cord rewind mech. fault or damage?

sooby, Oct 9, 7:15am
Hi guys,

We have a vacuum cleaner still under warranty that developed a fault with the cord rewind mechanism, which meant the cord jammed. Tried gently to unwind cord, which lead to a 3cm stripping of the cord down to bare wire. Have taken the vacuum back to retailer, which sent in on to service agent. Agent says -

"This repair is not a warrantable fault. The cord damage is just that 'damage'. Needs new cord rewind assembly @ $173".

What do you guys think? Surely if the rewind mechanism caused the cord to jam leading to cord stripping that's a manufacturers fault, compared to say me dropping unit and pieces breaking off it?

trade4us2, Oct 9, 7:33am
$173 is a ripoff price. What brand is it? My ancient Electrolux cord rewind works perfectly. I've always wondered how it works so well.

sooby, Oct 9, 7:44am
Electrolux funny enough! We paid $250 for it, so $170 seems extreme!

lythande1, Oct 9, 6:07pm
Maybe it does need a new part. It's under warranty however so the cost is not your problem.
Even if it was out of warranty, the CGA means you still are not liable to pay the bill.

dlmckay, Oct 9, 6:38pm
OP was this from Godfreys, by any chance?

sooby, Oct 9, 11:51pm
Yep, sure was from Godfreys - what does that mean for us?

johotech, Oct 10, 12:43am
Have you had a prostrate exam recently? Dealing with Godfreys might be slightly less plesent.

vickyh1, Oct 10, 1:33am
CGA. Disputes Tribunal if they won't come to the party. And yeah, good luck dealing with Godfreys.

gazzat22, Oct 10, 2:18am
Run it past FaIr Go,see what they say!

richardmm, Oct 10, 2:43am
Refuse. It wasn't up to the job of retracting. Had you known that this particular vacuum was so fragile you would never have bought it. Be firm. No way should you be paying.

trade4us2, Oct 10, 6:32am
Ask Godfreys if they have heard of social media and do they really want to be boycotted?

sooby, Sep 5, 11:00pm
cheers guys - contacted Electrolux and they have been fantastic, they are going to pick up the vacuum and fix it all under warranty. They even said they were surprised at the price quoted and that godfreys shouldn't have sent it to them in first place.

will update you guys as more developments occur, which may be a week or too away