Raspberry worm- any tips on how to control them?

sian18, Nov 6, 4:47am
My raspberry canes are getting annihilated by that little worm which eats into the centre of the fruit and also destroys the leaves. I have tried neem oil but is there anything else I can use or try which will get rid of them? Thanks

chickalamb, Nov 7, 8:22am
I read in a gardening magazine that it is because you leave the old canes for too long after fruiting so you will need to prune your old canes at the end of the fruiting season earlier than you usually do and hopefully won't have that problem next year.

jenny791, Nov 8, 7:29am
I have used Neem oil and other organic concoctions on many different insects, and none of them have worked and are a waste of money.
I find carbaryl good for caterpillars and other bugs, so perhaps give it a try.

lettice, Nov 10, 3:42am
Best for caterpillars is bacillus thurigensis "BT". It's a disease spore that give the little bustards a bellyache. they have to eat, so you'd need to get them before they eat their way inside the fruit. . It's approved for organic growers, and has a one day withhold time. It won't affect aphids etc, just caterpillars.

cantabman1, Nov 10, 6:33pm
Chickalamb is correct; you need to remove all the old cane each end of season. It will not get rid of all the buggers, but reduce the problem.because once the grub is inside the cane, no spray is going to touch them. The only thing I can think of is a constant spray programme over the spring and summer season, to prevent the adult laying any eggs.
Out of left field here, but try phoning a commercial grower of Raspberry to see what they do as a control.There are many in the Canterbury erea.

wine-o-clock, Nov 10, 8:22pm
hmm, i had no 'old canes' to cut back. they basically never died back, now I have a heAP of plants

chookmanor, Aug 3, 5:13pm
DE, smite organic food grade diatomaceous earth - don't use it when flowering, as it will harm the bees