Raspberry canes, when to prune?

hazelnut2, Jan 14, 1:15am
So my lovely raspberry canes have done their dash, no more fruit to ripen, and the leaves are yellowing. Can I prune the finished canes back now?

herc18, Jan 14, 1:23am
I do when they have finished fruiting otherwise pests just multiply.

hazelnut2, Jan 14, 3:16am
Thanks, that's what I'll do.

macandrosie, Jan 14, 8:03am
Yes you can prune as you remove the fruit off the canes

chickalamb, Jan 14, 9:03am
I wait until winter, then cut back this years fruiting canes. You can tell what they look like as they turn brown rather than the green of the new fruiting canes for this coming season.

poppy500, Jan 14, 10:03am

stellabellatm, Jan 17, 9:42am
Agreed.

nzmax, Jan 17, 10:14am
The raspberry canes I used to have, fruited twice in in a season, so there was no pruning until the second run had finished. I had never heard of them before, but was talking to a lady who grew raspberries to sell, and she told me that they weren't common but they were out there. She also told me that they have about 80% less fruit per run than a single fruiting cane. Both times there was always far more fruit than I could ever eat. Luckily the neighbours like raspberries.

wheelz, Jan 17, 10:52am
Yes. I get a second crop too. I do mine in winter or early spring when the old canes are obvious.

hazelnut2, Jun 7, 10:53pm
We planted 6 canes about 3 years ago. Year one they didn't do much, and 2 canes died. We went overseas for 18 months and they got left to themselves. When we returned in February last year I found raspberries right at the end of the 13 or so new canes so we had fresh raspberries in March, and then those same canes produced all the fruit we got in December/Jan. The canes turned brown and the leaves had already almost died by the time the fruiting was finished, so I have already pruned those out (last week) There are a LOT of new canes at the moment, and I see flowers on the ends of them, so I'm expecting more raspberries (but less of a crop) in a couple of months. So in effect, the canes I pruned had already produced two crops.