Raspberry and Boysenberry growing. Best results

kindee, Feb 9, 3:25am
Hi,
I am keen to grow a couple of raspberry and a couple of boysenberry plants.

Those of you with successful plants, what was the best thing you did regarding positioning, etc for good fruiting!

lozzaqtn, Feb 9, 8:38am
I cut the bottom out of a bucket and buried the bucket to the top of the ground and put the plant into that to stop the plant from spreading and getting out of control all over the place, it still goes over to the neighbours under the fence but not as much if I didn't plant it in that bucket, they like full sun, nothing much kills them

nicki5, Feb 9, 8:42am
we've got bricks under the soil at each end of the raspberry garden to stop them spreading, it's contained them so far for two years. We have heaps of plants now, it's amazing - no point buying more than two plants because by the second year you've got hundreds for free!

wheelz, Feb 9, 9:59am
I have found that yes they like full sun, but do very much better if their roots are cool, like the passion fruit. Fowl manure spread around in spring ensures big juicy crops.

kindee, Feb 9, 9:07pm
Thanks so much for these very helpful tips lozzaqtn, nicki5 and wheelz!

We are getting chickens soon too, so thats great

mottly, Feb 10, 3:47am
mine got hammered by vine hoppers this year :( Mine are in partial sun, in rich soil and do very well.they get sun till about 1pm, but in a 'hot' area.I lifted paving stones and planted in there, so there's no way they can spread :)

woodie1937, Feb 10, 3:51am
Kindee. Don't let the chickens in amongst the raspberries if you want any fruit.They love the leaves and will strip the plants and you will end up with dead sticks in the ground.If you do have any spare fruit give it to the chooks, I do, they love them.Don't know if the eggs are raspberry flavoured as I don't eat them, I give them away to friends.

kindee, Mar 1, 5:00pm
Great advice mottly and woodie1937, thanks very much