Best Plum Trees to plant?

van.wilson, Jul 11, 1:08am
Hello novice gardener here. I am in Tauranga and looking to plant plum trees. Which types do I get to have a good supply of red/purple fruit for jams, sauces and eating. And where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks in advance.

laspaz, Jul 11, 1:16am
I like villa ridge on Bethlehem rd. How many trees can you fit?

If just one, I would get a Luisa, as they are self fertile. But they are a large juicy yellow flesh plum with a red/yellow blush.

For red I have billington and black doris, but you need to match up the right trees for pollination.

lythande1, Jul 11, 1:41am
Black Doris! The ultimate - it needs a cross pollinator so pick whatever other.

morticia, Jul 11, 1:53am
Another vote for Villa Ridge, bought a terrific Fortune plum from them 2.5 years ago via their TM account. Our pollinator is Billington, hopefully there should plenty of them around the neighbourhood if you don't have one already.

cleggyboy, Jul 11, 2:03am
Neighbours have an elephant heart plum tree what beautiful fruit it bears, quite often get given some in season. Birds are the worst enemies of plums.

van.wilson, Jul 11, 3:08am
Thank you all for your advice - I will check out Villa Ridge this weekend.

lemming2, Jul 11, 4:16am
Black Doris, Omega, Sultan all good black/red fruit. Sultan is freestone, too.
None self-fertile though. Sultan and Omega are supposed to be cross-fertile, so I got a double grafted tree. However it wasn't till I planted a Santa Rosa (yellow flesh eating plum) last WInter that I got a decent crop on the other tree - last season it went mad!

samanya, Jul 11, 5:16am
That was one I had my eye on to plant in Nth Canterbury . but I ended up (got talked into) a Hawera & I have no idea what they taste like. 2 years in the ground & it's not only birds that get them . the first crop was wiped out by a strong Nor wester + one bloody sheep that poked through the fence. So hopefully this summer I may have a plum or two?

tonijo, Jul 11, 5:48am
Black Doris paired with a Santa Rosa. We had heaps of beautiful plums on both trees, especially the Black Doris.

tsjcf, Jul 11, 5:57am

cantabman1, Jul 11, 8:40pm
Agree about Black Doris, and with such large fruit you get more bang for your buck.

portly, Jul 12, 11:28am
Elephant Heart and Black Doris

kellie30, Nov 23, 9:42am
hawera are beautiful tasting