Best way to hang birdnetting to plum

wendalls, Dec 14, 10:03pm
has anyone worked out the easiest way to get it round all the branches without having to cut it up and sew bits all over the place? obviously id like to re use it without a hassle? i cant seem to figure out what is the most logical way of doing it. it is 5m x 6 m and the tree quite small but i need a ladder. Thanks

katelin1, Dec 14, 10:55pm

michele26, Dec 15, 7:06pm
I saw in aust one year someone used four spikes in ground around the tree and then alkathene pipe over tree and put onto the spikes then the net was draped over so kept off the branches a cheep reusable way of making a cage .Was to keep the parrots off. so that might work for you

hazelnut2, Dec 16, 4:26am
I love that idea. I have elderberry bushes/trees and every so often I let them fruit up. Have to keep the birds away from them once the berries start to ripen, so have previously been wrapping in netting, tying the netting to the trees with ladders and inconvenience, but with the spike/pipe option you describe it will be SO much easier to do. In fact, your idea would work well for the outside edges of my raspberries too! Many thanks!

rona1, Dec 16, 7:28pm
I use mosquito nets that you buy for the bedroom. Use a broom to lift it over the top. Obviously wont work on a huge tree tho.

wendalls, Dec 19, 8:44am
Brilliant ideas thanks Rona1. I even have one in my sons room that's a little grotty and due for replacing. ( we have major mozzie issues year round) Also have pool cleaning extension poles to help lift it high.

eljayv, Dec 19, 8:48am
We find hanging lengths of bird tape is all we need to do the birds won't come near it.

devine-spark, Jul 4, 2:02am
I was just a minute too late with my currants. One day the fruit was there ripening with me thinking I will do that tomorrow (Cover) and the next day. not a berry left. sigh.