Best Exterior Paint Brand

jimjam4, Jun 17, 8:39am
I'm painting the exterior of the house and have picked colours. What is better Dulux or Resene?. The colours I have chosen happen to be Dulux but I know Resene would match them. What do you recommend?

busybee72, Jun 17, 8:53am
If your surface prep is perfect and even then either brand is good. There is no magic wand for poor preperation, which will even make a $170 tin of paint look like poo.

jimjam4, Jun 17, 9:16am
Thanks busybee. Its a brand new exterior so the prep will be (better be) perfect! :)

ang_ck, Jun 17, 12:11pm
You will need a primer. I recommend Zinsser 123 primer.

jezabeel, Jun 17, 12:44pm
I like Dulux weathershield X10.
Been painting 20+yrs

trade4us2, Jun 18, 4:22am
I don't believe in primers or undercoats any more. The top coats don't stick to them very well.
Wattyl Solagard can be put on to bare wood and is guaranteed for 15 years.

johotech, Jun 18, 4:27am
You're hilarious.

trade4us2, Jun 18, 4:33am
You are wrong. We have used Solagard exclusively at work for heritage items.

http://www.wattyl.co.nz/en/explore-colours/find-ideas/exterior/ideas/WhySolagard.html

Designed to be applied to most exterior surfaces without the use of a primer

15 Year warranty against flaking, blistering and peeling

frank1, Jun 18, 4:51am
OP has not said what the cladding is!

johotech, Jun 18, 5:00am
Sure, it's good paint.
Dulux X10 is "self priming" as well, so undercoat is not necessarily required. And it is guaranteed for as long as you live in the house.

I'm sure Resene will have a similar product as well.

But "not believing" in undercoats because "The top coats don't stick to them very well" is nonsense.

And all these recommendation without anyone even knowing what OPs house is made of?

trade4us2, Jun 18, 5:19am
I have used Dulux with primer and undercoat for two houses and had poor results. I would certainly recommend using the same paint for all layers.
This is Solagard on bare timber
http://oi45.tinypic.com/2a66ybs.jpg

roys351, Jun 18, 8:02am
my sentiments exactly ive got 30 years in painting wattle is like painting with milk. dulux or resene I prefer dulux only because resene is overpriced and no better imo

roys351, Jun 18, 8:06am
but I still use resene quickdry primer as I have found no better. I do believe in primers and undercoats

roys351, Jun 18, 8:15am
good luck getting them to stand by their guarantee all companys state no primer that's ok but your first coat of no primer is your primer no guarantee if you don't use 3 coats and completely different story if totara rimu or cedar .listen to jono he knows his shit

trade4us2, Jun 18, 9:49am
I use three coats on Kauri.

singing1, Dec 13, 1:49am
WHAT IS THE SUBSTRATE?