Exterior Paint Colours - greys?

molly37, Feb 6, 12:40am
I have spent more in test pots over the last couple of weeks I probably could have painted the damn house.
We have a large A frame style bungalow built 100 years ago.Currently it has Resene Parchment Walls, Brand new Iron Roof in Grey Friars and Dark Grey Sills etc. Sash windows are White. We are very keen to keep the sills and base boards the Very Dark Grey, but quite what Grey for the house is becoming a problem. Or am I over thinking it all. Currently in the running is Resenes Triple Truffle and Half Stonehenge. Does painting a house a darker colour give the perception it looks smaller! Will the colour look lighter or darker en masse!
Any suggestions are welcome. thanks

pskpinks, Feb 6, 2:13am
Have you asked these questions via the Resene web page - I see they have a Ask a Colour Question thing that gets you in touch with a colour consultant.
I always thought that colour on a exterior looked a little lighter.

roopydoop, Feb 6, 2:36am
http://www.resene.co.nz/competition/home-and-garden/pdf/11_12_grandwinner.pdf

I thought this was lovely weatherboards are silver chalice have seen that colour used a couple of times now and always like it!

molly37, Feb 6, 3:40am
One of my original choices was Silver Chalice, but it was very silver/purple when i painted it up. Agree it looks fab on this house.

roopydoop, Feb 6, 4:10am
http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/habitat/pdf/exterior_schemes.pdf

Page 3 in this link the house is painted in truffle looks good colours usually lighten en masse I just wonder if the triple truffle may be a bit dark double has a lovely depth :-)

"

pskpinks, Feb 6, 6:30am
Did you paint it over Parchment! That is a slightly yellowy type of beige which might have made the Silver Chalice read as silver/purple instead of silver/pewter grey.

hatchback, Feb 6, 6:37am
Dulux timbercryl Cheerywood

molly37, Feb 6, 7:03am
Yes I did. so I'm guessing it would come out silver purple wouldn't it. Such a lovely colour too.

molly37, Feb 6, 7:06am
Thanks for that. Grey seems to be a popular colour doesn't it.Thanks for your feedback especially wanting to have used an earthier grey. I am leaning towardsa darker colour.

fordkiwi27, Feb 6, 7:28am
if you want to see what silver chalice looks like go to a westpac branch andinterior walls are painted in alabaster,sea fog andsilver chalice

wlgdgirl, Feb 7, 5:31am
My house sounds identical to yours Molly!Grey Friars on roof and skirting boards with white windows.Currently painted cream but wanting to go for a mid grey for the exterior walls.You'll have to let you know what you go with!I quite like half gravel at the moment, but change my mind every few weeks!

molly37, Feb 7, 8:03am
oooh, dont give me any more ideas. lol. It so is a mission.Been too busy to sit and stare at them long enough to make a decision.Let me know what you've decided too.

molly37, Feb 7, 8:04am
What a lovely home you have.We have seen some gorgeous colours on new plaster homes. And yours looks perfect.Dont you hate the hideous terracotta some people do. Ick.

jhan, Feb 7, 8:08am
That gravel colour is a beaut.

molly37, Feb 7, 9:10am
Nice colour but with grey friar trims wouldnt it just all be too dark.There is a wee home not far from us and its been painted from white to a dark grey with white windows. It looks amazing. Sadly its still white on Google or I would have posted a pic.Not sure I want to take the risk, and take the safer bet of triple truffle or something similar.

paulac, Feb 8, 5:11am
Our roof is also Grey Friars with white windows. Tried dozens of different grey test pots (we also found Silver Chalice too purpley) and finally settled on Foggy Grey. It's a Resene Karen Walker colour and we're really happy with how it came up.

supernova2, Feb 8, 6:44am
Everywhere I look in newish subdivisions I find what I call Greyish Mushroom or Mushroomiish Grey depending on which colour is the more prominant in the mix.In just about every case i think they are hideous.Then you go to older areas and just about every new paint job is the same horrid tones.Our kids have just been house hunting and just about every house they looked at that had a fresh paint job was some form of Grey or Mushroom.Some of them were even painted over brick.

There are lots of other colours.Dont be a Leaming.Do something different.

Thats my thoughts.

molly37, Feb 8, 8:01am
You are so right. We wanted to paint it Grey some years ago, but had to wait until we had our new roof first. New roof went on at Xmas, and now we see Grey houses everywhere. argh!Our house is very different from the usual bungalow and has quite apersonality, so I dont think it will look very typical.

midsta, Feb 8, 10:24am
we used Silver Chalice and are very happy with the colour. We don't find it purple but have noticed it takes on the colours surrounding the home (lots of lawns = very slight green). I like how it looks totally different when it sunny vs a stormy day. Would be my pick

enpointe, Feb 8, 7:28pm
I agree completely, but I find it is actually the beige that is everywhere and over done.Some people have painted their cool 1960s houses beige and it doesn't suit them at all.

I find there aren't many grey houses around at all though.Grey, black and white is quite a traditional combination.

enpointe, Feb 8, 7:31pm
Thanks for that suggestion.We now have a beach house I want to paint grey, so I am still looking at greys too (having done our home lighter than I intended).

molly37, Feb 26, 7:17pm
Come to Auckland. Grey is increasingly popular. I wonder what will be next.