Advice please re painting exterior of house

immaree, Dec 26, 4:00am
My son and girlfriend recently bought their first home which the exterior needs painting especially the wooden windows.They have chosen the paint and were told to get semi-gloss (dulux). The main boards are hardiplank.My ex and myself are going to give them a hand to get started.ex said they should have got full gloss as it will last longer etc and what they were told was wrong.Thoughts please!

bigsneak, Dec 26, 4:17am
http://www.resene.co.nz/homeown/probsolv/glosslvl.htm

Durability
As a rule of thumb, within the same generic type of paint, glossier products will have more durability than their flatter counterparts. The rate of drop off in the durability of exterior waterborne paints with decreasing gloss is much less than that of solventborne paints and while very useful lives may be achieved with low gloss and flat waterborne paints outside, solventborne paints of the same degree of gloss would erode very rapidly.

Gloss paints have a highly reflective smooth surface and are easier to clean than paints with less surface smoothness. They are ideal for areas exposed to heavy traffic or heavy use, especially where fingerprints, grease or grime are common. Colours tinted into high gloss paints appear cleaner and more intense than colours tinted into flat paints. Due to their highly reflective appearance, gloss paints tend to highlight surface imperfections. If the surface to be painted is marred or irregular it is best to select a paint with less sheen. Gloss greater than 80% gloss: Resene Hi-Glo, Resene Enamacryl, Resene Super Gloss.

Semi-gloss paints have a slightly glossy appearance that is not as highly reflective as that of gloss paints. These types of finishes offer good stain resistance and are easy to clean. Paints with a semi-gloss appearance are excellent for use on many of the same areas as gloss paints. They are ideal for walls and woodwork that is subject to wear and on weatherboards and exterior cementitious surfaces. Semi-gloss 30-45%: Resene Sonyx 101, Resene Lustacryl, Resene Lusta-Glo.

jkp58, Dec 26, 4:20am
It wont last longer but full gloss is easier to clean.Wash down with painters sugar soap.Make sure the windows get a good sand down.replace any loose putty easy to do .Use primer on bare woodwork.

elect70, Dec 28, 4:48pm
I still preferoil basedfull gloss onwindow framesifsanded down to bare & primedfirst