Summer plum tree pruning

spencer26, Dec 19, 9:51pm
I have a Fortune plum tree with an excellent crop. It also has made a lot of growth. If I do not put netting over it I will loose most of the fruit to the birds.
Is it OK to cut back the new shoots now so I can cover with net. These are the shoots that I would prune in the autumn.
Any comment appreciated.

mack77, Dec 20, 8:16am
I would think so. Pruning of stonefruit trees is best done in the Summer to prevent infection of the wound which can kill the tree.
I find that Fortune isn't a suitable plum variety to grow for home use since this variety suffers from premature fruit drop which means you need to pick the fruit before it is fully ripened.

morticia, Dec 20, 11:44am
I haven't found ours dropping fruit early, but it's only been in the ground a few years and hasn't cropped heavily until this season. Now it's laden to breaking point and needs a prop to hold up one branch already. There will be some remedial pruning after fruiting to stop it happening again.

cantabman1, Dec 21, 7:10am
Go for it and prune.I just trimmed back a few new branches on my Golden Queen Peach tree today, and quite often do summer prunes without any problems.

jennis, Jul 1, 10:44pm
The new growth on a GQ are what will bear fruit next season.