Tamarillo Tree - Pruning - Help!

carter441, Mar 14, 10:19pm
I have just found out that I was supposed to take the tip out to encourage branching and stop it getting too tall!It is now 1.8 metres (which for me is actually the perfect height - if it stops there)!HELP!What do I do!Can I just chop the top off!Although the top has kind of branched into several "stalks".Help, help, help!

mottly, Mar 15, 12:46am
I was told by a commercial guy just to whack em off to the right height - he reckon's they cope no worries.But mine aren't doing well, so I won't do it to mine lol!

carter441, Mar 15, 1:08am
Thanks very much.

maclad, Mar 15, 3:37am
I would be inclined to leave the pruning till after the frost has gone. if you prune now the new growth produced before winter may suffer in thefrosts.

carter441, Mar 15, 4:48am
Hmm.I really HAVE to top it now, otherwise it's going to be a Jack & The Beanstalk scenario!

maclad, Mar 15, 5:26am
not it wont be jack an beanstalk if you wait, just cut it back after next winterto where you wish and it will be fine, but remember when you do cut it back that you need to go alot lower than your ideal height as it will put on about 1m growth after pruning.

carter441, Apr 18, 2:50pm
Ahhh.Yes, I did wonder whether it you cut it, it would stop there at that point or not!