Tree pruning

coolcort, Feb 14, 8:23am
What is best to put on large cuts when removing large branches on fruit trees i seem to remember someone using tar many years ago to seal off cuts to stop rot from dead branches.

bugin, Feb 14, 8:35am
Proper pruning paint has fungicide in it and dries quickly to a waterproof skin .You need to use this especially on fruit trees to prevent disease like silver leaf ,blast and european canker getting in through the cuts.Garrison or Bacseal are the most common brands and come in a plastic dispenser pottle with an applicator brush .Wash the brush thoroughly in water after use.

nchun, Feb 14, 11:10am
You know what, professional tree growing nurseries just use acrylic based paint (something like Lumbersider). You can paint the cut immediately after cutting and the paint will seal it off. Cheers!

spiritofgonzo, Feb 14, 10:56pm
there's a school of thought - and I subscribe to this - that you can do more damage than good by sealing cuts.E.g. if you don't have a sterilised saw, you you sneeze on the cut, etc, then you seal in the diseases present.If the cut is clean, and the tree is healthy, I'm more likely to leave it to the natural air to let it seal naturally.Not to mention, sealing looks horrible.

maclad, Feb 15, 12:23am
Agree even professional arborists no longer seal cuts and there are generally no issues due to this new school of thought.

digger148, Mar 8, 4:18pm
Not such a new idea either, I finished my apprentiship nearly 25 years ago and we wern't using pruning paste back then either.