Plum Tree - Is it time to prune?

carlosjackal, Mar 22, 8:41pm
Just wondering if now is the time to prune our plum tree or if not, what month is best to do this!

stevee6, Mar 22, 9:08pm
Winter is always good because you can see the framework of the tree without leaves and the sap flow is minimal.

nchun, Mar 22, 9:19pm
I'd recommend you prune now, after harvest. This applies to all fruit trees, prune after harvest in late summer. Pruning Plum trees in winter invites silverleaf disease.Also need to consider, does the tree actually need any pruning! You don't have to religiously prune every season. Generally a seasonal prune is to bring the height of the tree back down to a manageable size, trim off any weak/damaged branches and maintain the open vase shape. Cheers!

dibble35, Mar 22, 9:40pm
+1 well put. I finally got round to pruning mine about 10 days ago should have done it a little sooner i feel. All I pruned for was to keep the size down, any crossing branches and that vase shape, oh and to remove diseased wood. Plums fruit on last seasons growth as well as the 'fruiting spurs' so dont want to cut off all of the last seasons wood.

loganjohnnz, Mar 22, 9:45pm
+2 Pruned ours after harvest, last pruned it about 2 years ago.As above just pruned it to keep to a manageable size

tehenga288, Mar 23, 3:34am
Agree - the orchard near us has already pruned.

carlosjackal, Mar 28, 9:47am
Thank you very much for your advice nchun - I shall prune them (I actually have 2 plum trees) over Easter.

fiona98, Mar 28, 10:48am
Dont fruit trees lose all their leaves before winter so if pruning then how can they get silverleaf disease if they have no leaves. Newbie with fruit trees so wondering when to prune as well.

fleur59, Mar 28, 6:07pm
http://www.forgottenfruits.co.nz/

some good advice in here

dibble35, May 1, 7:40pm
silverleaf disease will get into the tree thru the cuts made to the wood. Deciduous fruit trees are as above, other fruit trees such as citrus, feijoas are different so you're best to get seperate advice on them. eg citrus should be pruned at certain times of the year to prevent lemon borer being attracted to the tree.