Plum tree leaves

gsimpson, Nov 22, 11:02pm
I have a problem with our trees I can't identify.
Affecting Plum, Greengage and cherries. Some trees are partly affected, the Black doris the entire tree.
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/oamaruordinary/media/DSCN0401_zpsuzoyxanl.jpg.html
(cherry tree)
The affected leaves are small and narrow. Some are just smaller and reduced in size.

annies3, Nov 23, 12:03am
Probably thrips, mine do get this as well but this year I have been able to control it by using spraying oil before flowering a few times also copper and they are much better I have sprayed again, just with oil since fruit has set, one plum in particular is susceptible to the thrips, the effect looks a bit like leaf curl, but we have a peach which is fine.

gsimpson, Nov 23, 12:49am
I sprayed the trees with copper before flowering.

This is new. I have had problems in the past with leaf curl but this looks different. With the Black doris the entire tree is affected with all the leaves small and thin.

maclad, Nov 23, 1:34am
It could be borer or canker or leaf curl aphis. All the above can affect part or all of the plant. The first two are hard to remedy but aphis can be sprayed. A better close up pic of leaves of all plants would be more helpful. If it is canker then there will be marks on the branches and borer may show up with sawdust and holes in the branches.

gsimpson, Nov 23, 1:55am

gbking, Nov 23, 2:08am
almost looks like spray damage, anyone been using hormone sprays or even roundup nearby?

gsimpson, Nov 23, 2:45am
No. That is not very likely.

maclad, Nov 23, 2:53am
It could be hormone damage but I doubt it. This is a hard one sorry I can't be more helpful

maclad, Nov 23, 2:55am
Some of the pics look like hormone damage but the original pic with the lumpy leaves does not

annies3, Nov 23, 3:53am
Copper won't fix thrips, oil will, it smothers them. I used the copper to kill off any diseases, I had an expert look at mine that is where I got the info from.

maclad, Nov 23, 3:57am
Thrips tend to turn the upper leaf surface silvery. Large infestations of sucking pests can cause this curling and lumpy effect

gsimpson, Nov 23, 4:18am
It is very dry here. Could I not be watering enough?

maclad, Nov 23, 4:25am
How would that affect just one branch.

annies3, Nov 23, 4:28am
Its dry alright, 7mls over night though, its the wind El Nino effect could you have wind damage if you are certain its not thrips,

4bes, Jul 25, 3:02am
My plums look the same. If you unroll the curled leaves, you'll find a mass of aphids.