Rose with silvery leaves

fluffyb, Dec 13, 10:38pm
The leaves of my many-years-old, normally very healthy, Compassion rose have gone a silvery colour. Anyone know what has caused this and what I can do about it please? https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/432828159.jpg

maclad, Dec 14, 12:46am
I would say you have a mite infestation. Mites thrive in dry conditions like we are currently experiencing and if your plant is in a sheltered place then much more more likely and they can do a lot of harm. Check the underside of leaves and also where the leaf stem connects with the leaf for very fine webbing, silk that is like spiderweb but very fine, and also wee red spots which are the actual (tiny) mite. You can use an oil spray with or without an insecticide but also just turn your hose nozzle upside down and spray the under side of leaves a few times weekly. Mites do not like taking baths. Choice is up to you.

fluffyb, Dec 14, 1:58am
Thanks for your reply maclad! Have just checked what you've described, even with a magnifying glass to help the aging eyes. but cannot see any of those signs you describe.

jphs, Dec 14, 2:11am
Maybe thrips.
Look under the leaves, do you see little black bits?
If it is spider mites you will have webs with tiny little things running around in them.
Thrips are a litlle timy black slightly elongated insect that rasps the cells open to get the nitrogen and water out of them hence the damage. Silvering leaves is a classic sign of thrips.
Oil sprays are good for both when they are on roses. so is a good blast with water and Compassion tends to be a hardy rose that will take that sort of insult without blinking.
Has your rose been getting dry and stressed lately? That may be a reason why this has become a problem as Compassion is one of the best climbers to have as it is tough as a boot and glorious to have in your garden.

gbking, Dec 14, 2:15am
my guess would be the dreaded silver leaf, if it is there is not a lot to be done to cure it. Best to remove to stop it spreading to other roses or plants in the rosacea family such as stone fruit, almonds, apples, pears.

jphs, Dec 14, 2:17am

maclad, Dec 14, 2:59am
It could well be thrips but roses are more susceptible to mites particularly in sheltered spots and they are very hard to see. I think Silver leaf would be overkill but always possible. Try the measures above and see how new growth appears.

fluffyb, Jul 3, 3:17am
Unfortunately have had it confirmed by experts as being the dreaded Silver Leaf. Thanks for all your help. and congrats gbking!