Magnolia leaves. Do they ever compost?

meoldchina, Jan 15, 12:36am
I gathered up fallen magnolia leaves last autumn and bagged them in black plastic bin liners, hoping they would compost. I have just opened the bag and they are as dry and "plate-like" as the day I put them in the bag. Do they ever rot? What can I do to speed-up the process? Is it worth it?

wasgonna, Jan 15, 12:39am
Maybe run over them with mower to chop up a bit and then add some soil in the bag with them which will contain the bacteria and gremlins to start the rotting process.

lythande1, Jan 15, 12:44am
Some things need to be mowed first - like your leaves.
Some things need to be burned instead - like cabbage tree leaves.

exwesty, Jan 15, 1:15am
Add some lime to the bag, Hydrated lime is best. Also some fresh coffee grounds from a cafe or service station and mix it all in with the leaves, add a spray of water thru the layers as you fill the bag. Tie the top loosely and leave for a day or too and the bag should be pretty hot inside as the bacteria get to work. Mix it up about every 5 days to add more oxygen and the outer material into the middle.
If you have several bags full i suggest using a old wool sack or large garden bag ($9 Bunnings ) as the process will be faster with a larger volume.

meoldchina, Jan 15, 5:33am
i'm starting to think this is too much trouble for too little reward, but thanks for the tips.

sailor13, Jan 16, 12:37am
I think you would put some holes in the bag also wet them a little and put in shade.

groovie1, Jun 9, 11:53am
Save yourself the time and turf them. I tried bagging, mowing and in the end giving away my magnolia leaves with no takers and decided too much hard work. Better off investing your time in lawn clippings, soft cuttings and kitchen waste.