Wasps nest in compost heap - how to get rid of it

nigelt74, Apr 21, 1:11am
We seem to havea wasps nest in our compost heap/ whats the best eco-friendly way to get rid of it, given that i don't want to taint my compost heap.

I would have thought all the recent rain would have put paid to the little blighters

spiritofgonzo, Apr 21, 1:29am
you could burn it, if you had some sort of a flame thrower

muzzo, Apr 21, 1:42am
Ask the wasps to leave. And don't giggle - it does work if your heart is in it:-) Think Findhorn garden.

wheelz, Apr 21, 1:49am
Sprinkle Carbaryl powder over the heap, better still if you can find the entry hole, around that. Do it at dusk when they are in the nest for the night.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 21, 2:48am
x1
Cheap supermarket flea powder works a treat.

rsr72, Apr 21, 5:45am
Pour 1/2 cup of carbaryl powder down a length of hosepipe, poke one end in nest, blow hard down other, run.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 21, 7:22am
carbaryl is anything but 'ecofriendly' as requested by #1

liggy2, Apr 21, 8:39am
You can pour diesel over it but not too much just enought to soak the spot where they are coming from. Diesel breaks down quickly in the environment so no worries about destroying the compost-if you are not happy with that you can put some petrol in your garden spray and spray directly into the entrance-instant removal this way. Do it after dark when they are all home -wasps will not fly at night but will crawl over the ground if disturbed so wear your gumboots.

les6, Apr 21, 9:52am
"dieselbreaks down quickly in the environment" are you for real!

liggy2, Apr 21, 10:09am
Yes small amounts do same as petrol. Just need to mix with the soil I have seen it for myself and grass will grow back very quckly.

maclad, Apr 21, 6:13pm
There is a relatively new product out, which unfortunately I forget the name of, but it has something to do with wasps and I guess you could get it at Farmlands or similar. It is an aerosol can, just like flyspray, with an extra long spout on the nozzle and it sprays a good long jet so very, very easy to use, just spray down the nest entrance but do ensure you do it at dusk or later just to be safe.

guest, May 31, 7:48am
Many many realtors would like what you have but with PITI. Principal, Interest, Taxes, & Insurance. That would give us the total mlhtnoy payments which is much more valuable than just the PI, principal & Interest calculator.It should be easy to add on.1. Tax Rate with a Drop Down List from O.1 to 4.0 in .1 increments 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc.2. Insurance Yearly Cost, then you divide by 12.

guest, May 21, 3:58pm
LkLLnS xhbmeatbevvw