Best way to get rid of wasp nest safe for animals

clicketyclick1, Dec 18, 5:43pm
I found a single wasp sitting on top of what must be a small nest on a pot plant in the garden. It looks like a German wasp. There is no sign of any other wasps and this one never moves off the cocoon. What is the easiest and safest way for myself and our cats to get rid of the nest? Most wasp killer insecticides have permethrin which can kill cats and bees.

sunnysue1, Dec 18, 6:24pm
At night when any wasps ar e home cut it into a plastic bag and pop it in the freezer.

budgel, Dec 18, 6:32pm
I've done this by putting a couple of bread bags over my hand and then folding it over the nest, a couple of twists and into the freezer it goes!

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 18, 6:41pm
Cheap cat flea powder from the supermarket, placed in a heap, at dusk, as close to the hive entrance as you can get, if the nest penetrates the pot. The wasps will drag the powder inside and the nest will be killed off from inside. Otherwise spray from a distance at dusk should deal to them - that twin nozzle spray pack makes coating the nest much easier.

But, if you fancy getting close.

clicketyclick1, Dec 18, 6:42pm
That is a very good idea. How long will it take for the freezer to kill all the eggs and the wasp?

clicketyclick1, Dec 18, 6:46pm
The cocoon is hanging from a branch on a jade plant. I can't see any entrance and there's only ever one wasp sitting on the cocoon. What spray are you referring to?

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 18, 7:25pm
Any insect spray will kill wasps, but there is a new can design out with two nozzles, for those of us who keep missing.

A good drenching won't hurt the jade, but it will poison the nest.

woody89, Dec 18, 9:47pm
Paper wasp. A squirt of fly spray will see it drop off the nest & die (even sooner if you squash it). If left the one wasp will become 2, 4. dozens, hundreds so best dealt with at the 1 or 2 stage. After the wasps drop off just flick the nest onto the ground & squash it or clap between 2 bricks. Either way any pupae are dealt with.

clicketyclick1, Dec 19, 1:55am
It's in the freezer now, thanks for your advice.

lythande1, Dec 19, 7:10am
Wait till dark, that way all the wasps are in it, not out. Spray with flyspray, lots.
If you don't wait, and they're not all home, they'll just rebuild the nest.

lakeview3, Dec 19, 10:25am
I spray with flyspray, then I clip the nest off by its trunk, bag it stand on it and then bin it.

They are Asian paper wasps.

https://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/tools-and-resources/identification/what-is-this-bug/asian-paper-wasp-nest/

sunnysue1, Sep 1, 9:55am
I leave it in the freezer til rubbish day then put it out but probably 24 hrs would kill Mum and babies to be.